World War II begins
WWII begins and Navy pre-flight school takes over most of South campus, including a majority of Dawson Hall. As part of this restructuring, the clothing and textiles department is moved temporarily to the forestry and fine arts buildings.
During World War II, there is an emphasis on remodeling and repairing clothing and managing family budgets in response to war time defense, along with growing Victory Gardens and home food preservation. A course "Home Care of the Sick" is offered for the duration of the war due to shortage of nurses. Our students receive certificates in "Home Nursing" in cooperation with the American Red Cross.
The School of Home Economics celebrates 25 years of existence, delayed one year due to war time emergencies. As part of this silver anniversary, the school establishes the Historic Costume Collection to document Georgia's history through preservation of historic clothing and textiles.
Historic Clothing and Textiles Collection
As part of the 25th anniversary of the school, the Historic Clothing and Textiles Collection is formed and housed on the third floor of Dawson. Today, the collection is being moved to higher quality storage space in the UGA Special Collections Library. This move will also provide access to the collection by a broader range of students, scholars, and the general public.
Mary Creswell honored
On June 5, 1944, Mary Creswell is honored at a silver anniversary dinner for the admission of women to the university. She is presented with a portrait of herself by Wilford O. Conrow
School announces preliminary plan for the education of returning service men and women, which includes a one-year course of study for those interested in pursuing employment in restaurants, tea rooms, school lunch rooms or dress making.
Mary Creswell retires
Mary Creswell retires as dean. She continues as professor until 1949.
Enrollment goes from 424 students in 1941 to 276 students by the end of the war in 1945.