Zinc & Bone Study
We are pleased to announce that enrollment for the Zinc & Bone Study was completed during Spring 2010! We are currently at work on anaylsis and look forward to sharing the results of the study! We would like to thank each of our participants and parents - we enjoyed meeting you all and appreciate your participation. Stay Tuned...
For information on our current nutrition studies or if you would like to be contacted for future trials, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 706-542-4918.
More About the Zinc & Bone Study
The purpose of the research is to see whether zinc supplements taken each day for a month will improve markers of bone formation. Nine to ten year old female children who qualify for the study will be asked to take a zinc supplement or placebo every day for 1 month. At the beginning and again at the end of the study, we will measure the child’s body size and bone density, collect a blood and urine sample, and measure health, physical activity, sun exposure, and dietary intake through questionnaires. Participants receive $25 for baseline testing and an additional $50 for completing the study, for a total of $75. This study has been funded in whole or in part with federal funds form the National Institutes of Health.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can my child qualify for the study? To qualify children and parent must first complete a telephone screening. If eligible, based on the telephone screen, potential participants will be mailed a maturation questionnaire that has several drawings of maturation stages. Children will simply circle the picture that best represents her level of maturation. If the child is in the stage of maturation we are looking for, children will be invited to participate in the study.
- Where do we have to go for our visits? All appointments will occur at the UGA Bone Clinic, located in room 279 of Dawson Hall. (See driving directions link below)
- How many times will my child visit the UGA Bone Clinic? Participants are asked to visit us 2 times: once at the beginning of supplementation, and again at the end of 4-weeks.
- How long do testing sessions take? The telephone screening takes 5-10 minutes. Testing at the beginning and ending of the study including blood and urine collection, bone density scans, and questionnaire administration may approximately take 1 hour.
- Is my child guaranteed to get the zinc supplement? No, zinc and placebo supplements are randomly assigned. Both the zinc and placebo pills are identical in packaging and appearance.
- How much zinc is in the supplement? Is it safe? The zinc group will receive 24 mg of zinc sulfate per day for one month. This level is a safe level of zinc. Participants will be asked to avoid high-zinc foods such as baked beans, some shellfish, and some fortified cereals for the 4-week duration.
- Is the information collected kept confidential? Yes, any information you and your child provide will be kept strictly confidential. Only group data is presented in final research products.
Zinc & Bone Study Forms
- Maturation Questionnaire
- Maturation Questionnaire descriptive pictures
- Child Assent
- Parent Consent: page 1; page 2; page 3
- Bone Scan Consent