China Study Abroad: Global Sourcing of Soft Goods
Description of program: This twelve day study program with visits to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Xi’an, and Beijing will allow students to gain first-hand experience of China’s growing economy and the world’s largest consumer market. The trip will include visits to sourcing companies, production facilities, a couturier salon, various designer stores as well as educational and cultural institutions. We shall also immerse ourselves in various modern and traditional retail establishments. We shall meet contemporary fashion producers, learn about contemporary Chinese fashion and study traditional Chinese ethnic dress practices. We shall tour museums, visit the world famous Great Wall and Terracotta Army in Xi’an, together with many other incredible tourist sites.
Goals of the 2014 TMI China Study Abroad Program:
- Learn important social, cultural, and economic facts about the US’s largest foreign supplier of textiles and apparel.
- Develop an understanding of how fashion is sourced from China through visiting the world’s largest global sourcing company in Hong Kong and through a visit to a US sourcing company based in Hong Kong.
- Experience how garments are manufactured in China through visiting a textile and garment production facility.
- Immerse yourself in various forms of retail in China: from street markets to high-end designer stores.
- Make assessments of China’s growing fashion scene through visiting designer boutiques, and a couturier.
- Develop a greater understanding of Chinese ethnic dress practices throughout different dynasties: from simple black robes to the most elaborate dress styles through museum visits. Contemplate the complex meanings and elaborate color symbolism of Chinese dress.
- Experience the vastness of China and learn about its people, history, art, culture, and natural beauty.
- Visit the most famous sights in China such as the Great Wall, the Terracotta Army, Hong Kong Harbor etc.
Application and $500 non-refundable deposit are due November, 15, 2013.
Second Deposit of $1,000 due February 10, 2014.
Third Deposit of the remaining cost is due March 27, 2014.
Total cost approximately $4300 (Excluding tuition and related fees)
Dates: Maymester Session:May 12-23.
Spaces available for 2014: 15
First Information Session: September 19, 2013 at 6 p.m. in 306 Dawson Hall
Second Information Session: October 22, 2013 at 6 p.m. in 306 Dawson Hall Third Information Session: January 23, 2014 at 6 p.m. in 306 Dawson Hall
For more information please contact: Charlie Gilbert 404-245-0196 firstname.lastname@example.org or Emily Blalock email@example.com