Description of program: For 19 years the College of Family and Consumer Sciences has coordinated with the American Institute for Foreign Study, Inc., (AIFS) to provide an exciting academic experience in London. While all students participate in the course “British Life and Culture” for three semester hours of credit; students also add to their experience by either working as an intern or taking other courses offered by the program director. All academic majors are welcome to apply for the London program for an additional 3-6 credits.
While studying in London, students will experience:
- The excitement of living in an international city while earning college credits.
- The richness of London’s museums, theatre, fashion, business, and financial districts.
- Opportunities for day trips to places such as Bath and Stonehenge.
- London's historical sights such as the Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace
- Fabulous markets, beautiful parks, and a delicious array of international foods
Friday, November 8, 2013 @ 3 pm
Make sure the following items are included in the materials you return:
- All pages of the completed and signed application (including this one).
- One (1) copy of your current DegreeWorks.
- Application fee is $75 - This fee is refundable if you are not accepted into the program. Students who withdraw from the program may have this fee refunded until February 1, 2014.
Approximate Cost: $6000 Program Fee –includes six weeks in a flat in Central London; transportation pass for buses and underground trains; orientation program; sightseeing tour of London; a ticket for the London Eye; two theatre tickets; two full-day guided day trips from London by private coach (Bath-Stonehenge and TBA), one half day trip to Greenwich, access to computer lab and library at AIFS, British Life and Culture lectures; access to the AIFS student center, emergency contact services, services of an experienced AIFS program coordinator and student advisors; class room equipped with computer and projector; internship placement for students who select this option, classes and guided tours for students taking courses.
Other costs: Roundtrip airfare to London, passport and Tier 4 Visa for internship option (must be obtained before arriving in the UK); UGA tuition and fees for at least six hours of credit; expenses in London: meals, souvenirs and other personal expenses.
Dates: June 5 - July 18, Summer Thru Session 2014
HDFS/FDNS/HACE/TXMI 5710/7710 British Life and Culture (3 credit hours). And
HACE/TXMI 5910 Internship (3 credit hours)
HDFS/FDNS/HACE/TXMI 4900 London: Style (3 credit hours)
Pre-departure Meetings for London are mandatory during Spring semester 2014 for all students accepted into the program. Dates for meetings will be announced later in the Fall 2013 semester.
London Study Abroad Program Information Booklet - Summer 2014
Infomation about Course Credit and Other Essential Information About the London Program
FACS application form Summer 2014 -- Update: Application fee changed to $75
For more information: Please contact Dr. Katalin Medvedev, at email@example.com or come to one of our upcoming information meetings.
Thursday, September 5 @ 5:00 pm in 312 Dawson Hall
Monday, September 23 @ 6:00 pm in 312 Dawson Hall
Tuesday, October 22 @ 5:00 pm in 312 Dawson Hall