As an undergraduate, you can get hands-on experience beyond the classroom through domestic or international study programs, internships, research or service-learning. This type of study, called experiential learning, gives you the edge over competitors when you apply for a job or pursue graduate school.


teacher talking to students

Internships within our department are required and provide you with the opportunity to apply the course work in a wide variety of community settings that serve individuals and families. View internship options, locations and requirements.


teacher talking

Service-learning is the application of academic skills and knowledge to address a community need, issue, or problem and to enhance student learning. Currently, our department offers the following courses that enable students to work in their community.

HDFS 3700S: Adolescence and Young Adult Survey 

HDFS 4830S/6830S:  Death, Dying, and Bereavement Across the Lifespan

HDFS 5130S/7130S: Therapeutic Benefits of Play 

HDFS 5150S/7150S: Families, Schools, and Communities

Education Abroad

group photo while studying abroad

Visit FACS Study Away to learn more about opportunities through domestic or international study programs.*Please note that education abroad opportunities may meet our departmental research internship requirements (HDFS 5950), but they will not meet the applied internship requirements (HDFS 5910).