What can't you do with HDFS? A major in Human Development and Family Science provides you with knowledge of individual, family and community development in diverse settings. Our students are interested in pursuing careers in social work; marriage and family therapy and professional counseling; healthcare; policy-making or law, just to name a few.

You will learn about

  • Lifespan and family development
  • The reciprocal influence of social, cultural, and historical contexts
  • Diverse family structures and functions

You will learn how to

  • Think critically and apply theory, research, and ethical practices
  • Generate and effectively communicate knowledge
  • Provide educational, counseling, and advocacy services needed for children and families to function more effectively

Where do I start my coursework?

Many of our courses have the following prerequisites:

Required courses: 

To complete elective coursework, select classes that correspond to your career path:

Experiential Learning

As an HDFS major you're required to complete an internship so you can get work experience, which sets you above the competition when looking for a job. You also have options for Education Abroad and Service Learning. 

View Other Experiential Learning Opportunities

Research Opportunities

To learn more about areas of interest, you are encouraged to participate in Undergraduate Research through the Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO), or as part of a Research Internship (HDFS 5950). We also offer Directed Studies (HDFS 3010), so complete these steps: 1) talk to a faculty member about opportunities to learn more about a specific topic; 2) meet with your advisor; 3) complete the agreement form that requires a syllabus. 

If you are interested in pursuing graduate education, you are strongly encouraged to take a selection of courses that strengthen your research knowledge and skills as well as help you continue to advance your writing skills. Learn more about coursework and research opportunities.

Directed Study

Do you want to specialize your learning through a directed study? Here are the steps:

  1. Talk to a faculty member about opportunities to learn more about a specific topic
  2. Meet with your advisor
  3. Complete the 3010 Agreement Form that requires a syllabus

All HDFS students working with HDFS faculty must fill out the 3010 Agreement Form.