College of Family and Consumer Sciences
|Degree||Field of Study||Institution||Graduation|
|Fellowship||Adolescent Medicine||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia||2020|
|Certificate||Translational Research||The University of Pennsylvania||2019|
|Ph.D.||Foods and Nutrition||The University of Georgia||2017|
|B.S.||Applied Nutritional Sciences||The Pennsylvania State University||2012|
Dr. Kindler's research focuses on identifying determinants of peak bone mass, notably with respect to diet and chronic disease. His lab uses several bone imaging methodologies for clinical and translational research studies, including dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and peripheral quantitative computed tomography. Dr. Kindler is currently leading several clinical studies aimed at characterizing the influence of youth-onset type 2 diabetes on the growing skeleton. To learn more, visit the Nutrition and Skeletal Health Laboratory page.
Meet the Faculty
FDNS 4510/6510 - Nutrition Throughout the Lifecycle
Prior Professional Positions
|Organization||Title||Years of Service|
|Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Adolescent Medicine||Nutrition Fellow||2019-2020|
|Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition||Research Postdoctoral Fellow||2018-2020|
|Purdue University, Department of Nutrition Science||Post-Doctoral Research Associate||2017-2018|
|The University of Georgia, Department of Foods and Nutrition||Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant||2012-2017|
|The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Kinesiology||Undergraduate Research Assistant||2010-2012|
|Award Name||Awarded By||Year Awarded|
|Top Poster Presentation in Patient-Oriented Research||Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Poster Day||2019|
|Excellence in Research by Graduate Students Award in Professional and Applied Sciences||University of Georgia Graduate School||2018|
|Emerging Professional – Undergraduate Degree Award||Alumni Society of the College of Health and Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University||2017|
|Young Investigator Award||International Symposium on Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis||2017|
|President's Award||American Society for Bone and Mineral Research||2016|
|Young Investigator Award||European Calcified Tissue Society||2016|
|Mary Creswell Research Fund Award||University of Georgia’s College of Family and Consumer Sciences||2016|
|Young Investigator Award||American Society for Bone and Mineral Research||2016|
|Bess Dawson Hughes Best Poster Award||International Symposium on Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis||2015|
|Endsley-Peifer Student Research Award||University of Georgia’s College of Family and Consumer Sciences||2015|
|Ruth Rowan Morrison Scholarship||University of Georgia’s College of Family and Consumer Sciences||2015|
|June and Bill Flatt Graduate Scholarship||University of Georgia’s College of Family and Consumer Sciences||2014|
|Mary Creswell Research Fund Award||University of Georgia’s College of Family and Consumer Sciences||2014|
|Graduate Student Poster Award||Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietet||2013|
- Lobene AJ, Stone MS, Kindler JM, Bailey RL, McCabe LD, McCabe GP, Weaver CM. Minerals, Mineral Ratios, and Bone. In: Weaver, Daly, and Bischoff-Ferrari, Eds., Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis 2017, ICS 1297-Proceedings of the International Symposium on Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis, Nov 30-Dec 1, 2017, Hong Kong.
- Lewis RD, Kindler JM, Laing EM. Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Pediatric Bone. In: Weaver, Daly, and Bischoff-Ferrari, Eds., Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis 2015, ICS 1297-Proceedings of the International Symposium on Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis, June 17-20, 2015, Montreal, CA.
Kindler JM, Kelly A, Khoury PR, Levitt Katz LE, Urbina EM, Zemel BS. Bone mass and density in youth with type 2 diabetes, obesity, and healthy weight. 2020. Diabetes Care. In Press.
Kindler JM, Lappe JM, Gilsanz V, Oberfield S, Shepherd JA, Kelly A, McCormack S, Chese A, Cousminer DL, Mitchell JA, Winer KK, Grant SFA, Kalkwarf HJ, Zemel BS. Pediatric reference ranges for ultradistal radius bone density: results from the bone mineral density in childhood study. 2020. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. In Press.
Kindler JM, Laing EM, Liu W, Dain JE, Lewis RD. Pentosidine is associated with cortical bone geometry and insulin resistance in otherwise healthy children. J Bone Miner Res. 2019;34(8):1446-1450. PMID: 31220375.
Cousminer DL, McCormack SE, Chesi A, Mitchell JA, Kindler JM, Kelly A, Voigt BF, Kalkwarf HJ, Lappe JM, Shepherd JA, Oberfield SE, Gilsanz V, Zemel BS, Grant SFA. Postmenopausal osteoporotic fracture-associated COLIA1 variant impact bone accretion in girls. J Bone Miner Res. 2019;121:221-226. PMID: 30711642.
Kindler JM, Lappe JM, Gilsanz V, Oberfield S, Shepherd JA, Kelly A, McCormack S, Chesi A, Cousminer DL, Mitchell JA, Winer KK, Grant SFA, Kalkwarf HJ, Zemel BS. Characteristics of lumbar spine bone mineral apparent density in children: results from the bone mineral density in childhood study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019;104(4):1283-1292. PMID: 30265344.
Kindler JM, Vogel KA, Martin BR, McCabe LD, Henry MC, Peacock M, Warden SJ, McCabe GP, Weaver CM. Adiposity, insulin resistance, and bone mass in adolescents. J Clin Endocrinol and Metab. 2019;104(3):892-899. PMID:30312423.
Coheley LM, Kindler JM, Laing EM, Oshri A, Hill-Gallant KM, Warden SJ, Peacock M, Weaver CM, Lewis RD. Whole egg consumption and cortical bone in healthy children. Osteoporosis Int. 2018;29(8):1783-1791. PMID: 29713797.
Kindler JM, Ross HL, Modlesky CM, Laing EM, Pollock NK, Singh H, Lewis RD. Obese versus normal-weight late-adolescent females have lower trabecular bone microarchitecture: a pilot case control study. Calc Tiss Int. 2017;101(5):479-488. PMID: 28710506.
Lobene AJ, Kindler JM, Pollock NK, Laing EM, Lewis RD. Zinc supplementation does not alter indicators of insulin secretion and sensitivity in black and white female adolescents. J Nutr. 2017;147(7):1296-1300. PMID: 28592518.
Kindler JM, Pollock NK, Laing EM, Oshri A, Jenkins NT, Isales CA, Hamrick MW, Ding K, Hausman DB, McCabe GP, Martin B, Hill-Gallant KM, Warden SJ, Weaver CM, Peacock M, Lewis RD. Insulin resistance and the IGF-1–cortical bone relationship in children ages 9-13 years. J Bone Miner Res. 2017;32(7):1537-1545. PMID: 28300329.
Giudici KV, Kindler JM, Martin BR, Laing EM, McCabe GP, McCabe LD, Hausman DB, Martini LA, Lewis RD, Weaver CM, Peacock M, Hill Gallant KM. Associations among osteocalcin, leptin and metabolic health in children ages 9-13 years in the United States. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2017;14:25. PMID: 28286536.
Kindler JM, Pollock NK, Laing EM, Jenkins NT, Oshri A, Isales C, Hamrick MW, Lewis RD. Insulin resistance negatively influences the muscle-dependent IGF-1-bone mass relationship in premenarcheal girls. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(1):199-205. PMID: 26574958.
Kindler JM, Goff HL, Laing EM, Modlesky CM, Pollock NK, Baile CA, Lewis RD. Load specific physical activity scores are related to tibia bone architecture. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2015;25(2):136-144. PMID: 25029040.
Reed JL, De Souza MJ, Kindler JM, Williams NI. Nutritional practices associated with low energy availability in Division I female soccer players. J Sports Sci. 2014;32(16):1499-1509. PMID: 24787233.
REVIEW ARTICLES and META ANALYSES
Fedewa MV, Bentley JL, Higgins S, Kindler JM, Esco MR, MacDonald HV. Celiac disease and bone health in children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Densitom. 2019. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 30833087.
Kindler JM, Lewis RD, Hamrick MW. Skeletal muscle and pediatric bone development. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2015;22(6):467-474. PMID: 26414082.
MANUSCRIPTS in REVIEW
- Kindler JM, Mitchell EL, Piccoli DA, Grimberg A, Leonard MB, Loomes KM, Zemel BS. Bone geometry and microarchitecture deficits in children with Alagille syndrome. Bone. In Review.
- Cousminer DL, Wagley Y, Pippin JA, Elhakeem A, Way GP, McCormack SE, Chesi A, Mitchell JA, Kindler JM, Baird D, Hartley A, Howe L, Kalkwarf HJ, Lappe JM, Lu S, Leonard M, Johnson ME, Hakonarson H, Gilsanz V, Shepherd JA, Oberfield SE, Greene CS, Kelly A, Lawlor D, Voight BF, Wells A, Zemel BS, Hankenson K, Grant SFA. Genome-wide association study implicates novel loci and reveals candidate effector genes for longitudinal pediatric bone accrual through variant-to-gene mapping. Genome Biology. In Review.
MANUSCRIPTS in PROGRESS
- Kindler JM, Kralick AE, Lappe JM, Gilsanz V, Oberfield S, Shepherd JA, Kelly A, McCormack S, Chese A, Cousminer DL, Mitchell JA, Winer KK, Grant SFA, Kalkwarf HJ, Zemel BS. Characteristics of abdominal visceral fat accrual in childhood: results from the bone mineral density in childhood study.
- Kindler JM, Zemel BS, Leonard MB, Mostoufi-Moab S. Musculoskeletal deficits in pediatric allgeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation survivors persist during the growing years.
- Kindler JM, Urbina EM, Khoury PR, Zemel BS. Dietary fiber intake and bone density in youth with healthy weight, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.