College of Family and Consumer Sciences
PhD Student & Graduate Assistant
|Degree||Field of Study||Institution||Graduation|
|PhD (Con.)||Polymer, Fiber, and Textile Sciences||University of Georgia, Athens, GA||2020 (Expected)|
|M.Sc.||Fabric Manufacturing Engineering||Bangladesh University of Textiles, Dhaka, Bangladesh||2015|
|B.Sc.||Fabric Manufacturing Technology||Bangladesh University of Textiles, Dhaka, Bangladesh||2011|
Shafiqul's main research interests are the design and development of composite materials, produce environment-friendly sustainable building insulation materials, mechanics of fabrics, medical textiles, and textile dyeing from natural materials
2012 – Present
Department of Textile Engineering,
Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, Gazipur, Bangladesh
2018 – Present
Department of Textiles, Merchandising and Interiors,
University of Georgia, Athens, GA
2017 – 2017
Department of Consumer, Apparel, and Retail Studies,
University of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC
Prior Professional Positions
|Organization||Title||Years of Service|
|Thermax Group Ltd., Narsingdi, Bangladesh||Research and Development||2011-2011|
|GMS Composite Knitting Ind. Ltd., Gazipur, Bangladesh||Industrial Training||2010-2011|
|Award Name||Awarded By||Year Awarded|
|VF Scholarship ($4000)||University of North Carolina, Greensboro||2017|
|Position||Name of Journal||Year(s)|
|The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh||Member||2012-present||Active member|
Gajanan S. Bhat
Areas of Expertise
- Design and Development
- Sustainable textile dyeing
- Medical textiles
- Fabric Mechanics
Bhat, G., Islam, S. “Recycling of Textile Waste into Value-Added Products.” Engaging and Transforming Communities, 2019 – 2020, not funded.
1. Bhat, G., Malkan, S., Islam, S. (2020). Polymer-laid web formation. In S. Russel (Eds), Handbook of nonwovens, New York, NY: CRC Press.
Teaching assistant of the following courses:
TXMI 3210: Fundamentals of Fashion Merchandising
TXMI 3240: Retail Planning and Buying
- Design and development of composite materials
- Environment-friendly sustainable building insulation materials
- Nonwovens from recycled materials
6. Islam, S., & Bhat, G. (2019). Environmentally-friendly thermal and acoustic insulation materials from recycled textiles. Journal of environmental management, 251, 109536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2019.109536
5. Zakaria, M., Islam, S., Chowdhury, H., Al-mamun, A., Islam, N. (2018). Effect of Weave Structure on the Ornamentation of Denim Fabrics. Latest Trends in Textile and Fashion Designing, 2(1), 143-147.
4. Islam, S., Bhuiyan, M. R., & Islam, M. N. (2017). Chitin and chitosan: structure, properties and applications in biomedical engineering. Journal of Polymers and the Environment, 25(3), 854-866.
3. Bhuiyan, M. A. R., Islam, A., Islam, S., Hossain, A., & Nahar, K. (2017). Improving dyeability and antibacterial activity of Lawsonia inermis L on jute fabrics by chitosan pretreatment. Textiles and Clothing sustainability, 3(1), 1-10.
2. Zakaria, M., Ahmed, M., Hoque, M. M., & Islam, S. (2017). Scope of using jute fiber for the reinforcement of concrete material. Textiles and Clothing Sustainability, 2(1), 11-20.
1. Islam, S., Islam, M., (2015). Scope of Nonwoven as Filtration Materials -A Critical Review. Journal of Textile Engineering, 2(1), 31-39.
3. Islam, S., Seylar, J., El Messiry, M., Bhat, G. (2019, October). Processing, Structure and Properties of Sustainable Insulation Materials from Textile Waste. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Materials from Renewables, Athens, GA.
2. Islam, S., Seylar, J., Sikdar, P.P., El Messiry, M., Bhat, G. (2019, May). Development of Value-added Products from Recycled Mixed Fibers and Fabrics. Paper presented at the Center for Bioplastics and Biocomposites, Athens, GA.
1. Islam, S., Seylar, J., Sikdar, P.P., El Messiry, M., Bhat, G. (2019, February). Environmentally-Friendly Acoustic Insulation Materials from Post-Consumer Recycled Fabrics. Paper presented at the Techtextil North America, Raleigh, NC.
2. Islam, S., El Messiry, M., Sikdar, P.P., Seylar, J & Bhat, G. (1st revision). Microstructure and Performance Characteristics of Acoustic Insulation Materials from Post-Consumer Recycled Denim Fabrics. Journal of Industrial Textiles.
1. Azari, H., Islam, S., Bhat, G. (In progress). Reinforcement of polypropylene fiber with graphene nanocomposite. The Journal of Textile Institute.