202 Housing and Consumer Research Center (House C)
415 Sanford Dr.
Athens, GA 30602
workOffice Phone: 706-542-4138
FHCE 3150 Consumer Decision Making
FHCE 5150 Applied Consumer Policy Analytics
FHCE 8050 Research Methods in Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics II
FHCE 8150 Theory of Households, Consumer Economics, and Financial Behavior II
||Field of Study
||Family and Consumer Economics
||Computer Science & Econometrics
||Cracow University of Economics
My research interests include household financial well-being, consumer economics, and health economics. In my recent research projects I investigated the impact of college financial aid policy on household portfolio composition, the role of adverse health events on household finances, the impact of intra-household distribution of bargaining power on income protection through life insurance, various aspects of financial literacy and its role on economic behavior, as well as health effects of economic recessions.
Consumer Decision Making, Consumer Policy Analytics, Research Methods, Theory of Households, Consumer Economics, and Financial Behavior
- Babiarz, Patryk, and Tansel Yilmazer. "The Impact of Adverse Health Events on Consumption: Understanding the Mediating Effect of Income Transfers, Wealth and Health Insurance." Health Economics 26, no. 11 (2017): 1743–1758.
- Woodyard, Ann, Cliff A. Robb, Patryk Babiarz, and Ji-Young Jung. " Knowledge and Practice: Implications for Cash and Credit Management Behaviors." Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal 45, no. 3 (2017): 300-314.
- Carswell, Andrew T., and Patryk Babiarz. “Benefit-Cost Analysis and Optimization Modeling for a Seller/Builder Buydown Mortgage." Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education 19, no. 1 (2016).
- Robb, Cliff A., Patryk Babiarz, Ann Woodyard, and Martin C. Seay. "Bounded Rationality and Use of Alternative Financial Services." Journal of Consumer Affairs 49, no. 2 (2015): 407-435.
- Yilmazer, Tansel, Patryk Babiarz, and Fen Liu. “The Impact of Diminished Housing Wealth on Health in the United States: Evidence from the Great Recession.” Social Science & Medicine 130 (2015): 234-241.
- Babiarz, Patryk, and Cliff A. Robb. "Financial Literacy and Emergency Savings." Journal of Family and Economic Issues 35, no. 1 (2014): 40-50.
- Babiarz, Patryk, Richard Widdows, and Tansel Yilmazer. "Borrowing to Cope with Adverse Health Events: Liquidity Constraints, Health Insurance, and Unsecured Debt." Health Economics 22, no. 10 (2013): 1177-1198.
- Robb, Cliff A., Patryk Babiarz, and Ann Woodyard. "The Demand for Financial Professionals' Advice: The Role of Financial Knowledge, Satisfaction, and Confidence." Financial Services Review 21, no. 4 (2012): 291-305.
- Yilmazer, Tansel, Patryk Babiarz, and D. E. Kiss. "The Role of Lending Practices on the Foreclosure Crisis: Evidence from Indiana and Ohio." Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal 40, no. 4 (2012): 398-416.
- Babiarz, Patryk, Cliff A. Robb, and Ann Woodyard. "Family Decision Making and Resource Protection Adequacy." Journal of Consumer Affairs 46, no. 1 (2012): 1-36.
- Babiarz, Patryk, and Tansel Yilmazer. "The Impact of College Financial Aid Rules on Household Portfolio Choice." National Tax Journal 62, no. 4 (2009): 635-655.