Requirment for admission:
- A faculty member who agrees to serve as your graduate advisor. Advisors are selected after your application is submitted and complete. Applicants should carefully choose an advisor as they are not admitted unless a faculty member has agreed to be their advisor. Before choosing an advisor, be sure that their interests match your interests by reading their biographical information.
Preference for admission includes:
- Effective for the Fall 2024 admissions cycle, GRE scores are no longer required. However, we do encourage students to take the exam and submit scores.
- Degree in Nutritional Sciences, Dietetics, Food Science, Biology, Zoology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Nursing, Public Health, or other closely related health science.
- The following undergraduate courses with grades of "B" or better on your transcript: 2 semesters of Inorganic (general) Chemistry, 1 semester of Organic Chemistry, 1 semester of Biochemistry, and 1 semester of Physiology.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Work or volunteer experience in at least one of the following: laboratory research, clinical research, food industry, nutrition education, health promotion, or other areas related to health, nutrition or food science.
- Statement of purpose detailing why you are pursuing a degree in Nutritional Sciences at UGA.
You can complete the UGA Graduate School application online. Once the department has received your completed application, the graduate committee will perform an initial screening. If the application passes the initial screening, it will be circulated to faculty to determine if a faculty member agrees to serve as your major professor. At least one faculty member must agree to serve as the major professor before the applicant is accepted for admission by the department.
For International students, a TOEFL iBT score of 90 with a minimum score of 20 in each of the four exam sub-sections or IELTS score of overall band-width of 6.5, with no single band (score) below 6.0 is required for admission.
Please refer to the UGA Graduate School website for additional International Application Information.