We integrate instruction with relevant research on textile fiber and polymer science, merchandising and international trade, consumer behavior, historic and cultural aspects of dress and textiles, design solutions for residential interiors, and global apparel supply chain and organizational dynamics.
The Historic Clothing and Textile Collection is a collection of over 2,500 garments, accessories, and textiles.
Our research is conducted at Nanostructured Materials Lab where we study “smart” materials.
Creative Design Solutions
Evidence-based design for residential design solutions informs our curriculum and prepares our students for their careers in design. Aspects of our study:
- The client
- Learning environments
- Advancement of FI career professionals
- Design solutions
- Online learning
- Community of practice
- Culture and the built environment
- History of residential interior design
- Effective health care design
Merchandising and the Global Marketplace
We study attitudes and intentions of consumers and their behavior in the retail and merchandising environment to positively impact the success of businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Online retailing
- Consumer satisfaction and loyalty
- Service quality
- Sustainable consumption behavior
- Corporate social responsibility
- Global apparel supply chain
Historic and Cultural Aspects of Dress
We study the history of dress adornment, interpret culture and the global understanding of all aspects of dress and appearance.
- Gender and the politics of dress
- Fashion peripheries
- Sustainability and fashion
- Communicating identities
- Museum studies and archiving
Polymer, Fiber and Textile Science
Along with collaborators in engineering and chemistry at UGA and materials science at Georgia Tech and Clemson, we have spearheaded research in environmental chemistry, innovative biotechnology applications, product development and recycling of textile by-products to advance the innovation of new products and businesses.
- Smart textiles and apparel
- Sustainability and polymers
- Health and well-being