The application period for our Fall 2023 cohort is now closed. The required prerequisite Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) application for the Fall 2024 cohort is closed. Please come back next year for the 2024 Summer Leadership Institute.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 in the year of admission.
- Not under a full or plenary guardianship as ordered by a court of law. Limited or partial guardianship agreements will be considered and must be shared.
- Able to remain unsupervised for 12 hours
- Independent in handling his/her own medication, specialized dietary and/or medical needs, as well as in the use of his/her own medication. Staff is not available to manage/administer medications. The Destination Dawgs Program does not take responsibility for specialized diets or medical needs
- Able to sit through a class period (1.5 hours)
- Able to read and write approximately at a 3rd-grade level
- A United States Citizen
- Willing to consent to be photographed and be able to consent to participate in research
- A personal desire - and support from family- to gain skills for self-determination, independent living, and career development at the University of Georgia
- A primary diagnosis of intellectual disability. An intellectual disability is a disability characterized by significant limitations both in intellectual functioning (reasoning, learning, problem solving) and in adaptive behavior, which covers a range of everyday social and practical skills. This disability originates before the age of 18. The applicant must have been (or is presently) eligible for special education and related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Completed high school with diploma/modified diploma/certificate of completion
- NO history of challenging behaviors
- Sufficient emotional and independent living skills necessary to participate in coursework and campus life
- Student must be able to be legally responsible for understanding and adhering to the UGA Code of Conduct: http://conduct.uga.edu/code_of_conduct/codeofconduct.pdf
- Transportation to and from campus
- Medical insurance
- A cell phone
- Willingness to participate in a mandatory, invite-based prerequisite Leadership Institute
706-410-7265 | DestinationDawgs@uga.edu