FACS Connection - August 21, 2020
A weekly digest of news, events, and opportunities for all undergraduate FACS students.
Friday, August 21, 2020
- Welcome Back from the SSAC
- Drop/Add Information
- Scholarship Opportunities: Black Faculty and Staff Organization
- FACS Student Organization Newsletter
- FACS Pick of the Week
- UGA Cortona Study Abroad
- Pre-Health & Pre-Law Introductory Orientations
Student Success and Advising Center (SSAC) Updates
- Our center hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- To prioritize the health and safety of students, staff, faculty, and guests we will close at 4:30 p.m. to clean the entire center each afternoon. We will also clean throughout the day as well.
- Academic advising services for fall 2020 will be offered virtually. To schedule an appointment with your FACS Academic Advisor please visit this link.
- If you need to stop by the SSAC, please make an appointment, call ahead, or send an email. Our contact information is available here.
While in the SSAC, please follow current safety and social distancing guidelines.
- Wear an appropriate face covering over the nose and mouth at all times.
- Maintain at least six (6) feet of distance between yourself and others.
- Do not move any furniture.
- Do not go beyond any plexiglass barriers.
Drop/add assistance will be provided virtually this semester. You can find information about virtual drop-in times for FACS academic advisors and the Student Success and Advising Center here. Check your UGA email for messages from your academic advisor and other important announcements from UGA. Drop/Add ends on Wednesday, August 26th.
3. Scholarship Opportunities: Black Faculty and Staff Organization
The Black Faculty and Staff Organization (BFSO) at the University of Georgia is proud to offer multiple scholarship opportunities for students who are in need of financial support. Scholarships are open to all current UGA students who meet BFSO criteria. Deadline for submissions is Tuesday, September 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. More details can be found in the scholarship form.
4. FACS Student Organization Newsletter
FACS Student Organizations are busy planning activities for the upcoming semester. Check out the FACS calendar for upcoming events.
International Coffee Hour | Hosted by SERVEUGA
Department(s): International Student Life
Friday, August 28, 2020
12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Celebrate culture and connections at International Coffee Hour. Each week a different organization or department will host Coffee Hour. Register to attend here.
The University of Georgia's oldest study abroad program has been operating in the medieval Tuscan hill town of Cortona, Italy for more than 50 years. UGA Cortona offers an extensive list of studio art and art history courses, as well as classes in Italian, English, Women's Studies, Science, Business, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design, Graphic Design, and Agriculture. Earn UGA credit while living in Tuscany and traveling with the program to Italian cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena, Naples, Orvieto, Assisi, and many more!
Please see the UGA Cortona website for full program details and for scholarship information.
7. Pre-Health & Pre-Law Introductory Orientations
The Pre-Professional Advising Office has scheduled Introductory Orientations for pre-health and pre-law students. They are targeted for freshman and sophomores but can also be suitable for those who are brand new to the area. These orientation sessions are not mandatory and students are able to schedule appointments with our advisors without having attended an orientation. You can find the Zoom links for these events on the Event Calendar.
- Pre-Med/Dent Orientation: August 31st at 5:00 p.m.
- Pre-Allied Health (PA, PT, OT, etc.) Orientation: September 1st at 5:00 p.m.
- Pre-Nursing Orientation: September 3rd at 5:00 p.m.
- Pre-Law Orientation: September 8th at 5:00 p.m.
New to FACS? View FACS Connection Archives here!
Items for FACS Connection should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Instructions on formatting a FACS Connection entry can be found here.
We Are FACS campaign showcases college’s diverse career paths
Early exposure to research fueled Akinniyi’s passion for discovery