FACS Connection - March 12, 2021
A weekly digest of news, events, and opportunities for all undergraduate FACS students.
Friday, March 12, 2021
- Dawg Check
- FACS Student Ambassadors – Apply Today!
- FACS Spring 2021 Book Club
- Feedback Opportunity: Adapt, Evolve, and Transform Survey
- FACS Pick of the Week
- UGA Cortona Study Abroad
- UGA Extension: COVID-19 Resources
- 25th Annual Collegiate Leadership Conference
- FACS Alumni Association Scholarship Opportunity
- Prepared Dawgs Ambassador Program
- UGA School of Social Work: Capstone Survey
- Entrepreneurship Program – Collegiate Great Brands Competition
- Design Sprint – Win Up to $5,000
- Public Service and Outreach Student Scholars Program
1. Dawg Check
The University of Georgia is committed to a safe environment for its faculty, students, and staff. As a part of our commitment, we ask that you use DawgCheck to:
- Check your current health condition and report exposure daily using this link!
- Should you test positively for Covid-19, you are required to report the test results here.
- You will receive these prompts via email. You may enroll in text/SMS messages for these alerts by registering here.
- If you have questions or require more information, please visit dawgcheck.uga.edu.
2. FACS Student Ambassadors – Apply Today!
The College of Family and Consumer Sciences Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is pleased to announce a Spring 2021 Book Club for all FACS faculty, staff, students and alumni. Registration is required (https://bit.ly/3bjz7mL).
4. Feedback Opportunity: Adapt, Evolve, and Transform Survey
It’s time to think about what comes next regarding instruction at UGA. The FACS College leadership wants your input on ways we can “adapt, evolve, and transform” the way we advise, teach, and prepare our graduates. This survey asks you to consider new and innovative ways we might continue to strategically adopt remote work, digital collaboration, and virtual learning. Please take some time to read the request for ideas and take some time to complete the survey for our College. This survey will remain open until March 31, 2021.
Survey Link: https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6WJHEOYPRfoIFCK
Apply to the Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program!
Are you interested, but have questions? Wondering how this applies to your major or degree program? Join an upcoming virtual info session! A former Legislative Aide will attend to answer your questions. Check out former Aide experiences here.
- Tuesday, March 16th from 7:30-8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 18th from 5:30-6:00 p.m.
Register for the information session here. Registrations must be received at least one hour prior to the scheduled meeting time.
The program is a full-time spring semester fellowship experience in Atlanta at the Capitol. Fellows are paired with a local Athens area legislator. The program is experiential learning approved, comes with a $4,000 stipend, and integrates career and leadership development. We are accepting applications for 2022, 2023, and 2024. Email email@example.com or visit the Legislative Aide Leadership Fellows Program website to learn more.
The University of Georgia's oldest study abroad program has been operating in the medieval Tuscan hill town of Cortona, Italy for more than 50 years. UGA Cortona offers an extensive list of studio art and art history courses, as well as classes in Italian, English, Women's Studies, Science, Business, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design, Graphic Design, and Agriculture. Earn UGA credit while living in Tuscany and traveling with the program to Italian cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena, Naples, Orvieto, Assisi, and many more!
Please see the UGA Cortona website for full program details and for scholarship information.
7. UGA Extension: COVID-19 Resources
UGA Extension has compiled a list of helpful resources related to the COVID-19 vaccine. To get the latest information, visit extension.uga.edu/emergencies.
8. 25th Annual Collegiate Leadership Conference
Engagement, Leadership, and Service (ELS) is hosting the 25th Annual Collegiate Leadership Conference Monday-Wednesday, March 15-17, 2021. Over the course of three days, these no-cost experiences will include a keynote and Q&A on Monday evening with special guest, Zach King – filmmaker, entrepreneur, and TikTok sensation, concurrent virtual presentations on Tuesday evening, and an in-person celebration on Tate Plaza and West Lawn on Wednesday.
Visit els.uga.edu or click here to learn more and to register for the 25th Annual Collegiate Leadership Conference.
9. FACS Alumni Association Scholarship Opportunity
The FACS Alumni Association Scholarship II is a need-based scholarship awarded to a student who is enrolled in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences and has declared their major within the college. This scholarship award is $1,000 and is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. Funds will be awarded in fall 2021. The application will be open March 2 – March 26, 2021.
· Reference letter from a faculty member (PDF format)
· Statement of Interest
· Outline of professional and scholastic goals
Application Link: https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9BIicSkiWJXtitg
10. Prepared Dawgs Ambassador Program
The Office of Emergency Preparedness (OEP) is looking for motivated students to join the Prepared Dawgs Ambassador Program. Ambassadors will act as liaisons to the student body and work to promote a safe and prepared campus environment.
Applications are now available and will close on March 31, 2021. For more information and the application for the Prepared Dawgs Ambassador Program, please visit https://prepare.uga.edu/ambassador-program/.
11. UGA School of Social Work: Capstone Survey
Survey Link: https://ugeorgia.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3jl7Vu2iSyl70I6
12. Entrepreneurship Program – Collegiate Great Brands Competition
Student teams from across the country are invited to compete in the 2021 (Virtual) Collegiate Great Brands Competition on April 1, 2021. Deadline to apply is March 17! Bring your ideas or business for a chance to win $25,000.
13. Design Sprint – Win Up to $5,000
14. Public Service and Outreach Student Scholars Program
The application PDFs and more information about the Public Service and Outreach Student Scholars Program can be found at https://servicelearning.uga.edu/pso-student-scholars. Please contact Paul Matthews (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
New to FACS? View the FACS Connection Archives for past newsletters!
Items for FACS Connection should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Instructions on formatting a FACS Connection entry can be found here.
Early exposure to research fueled Akinniyi’s passion for discovery