This will guide you through clearing holds or error messages you may encounter during the registration process.
In order to register for classes, you must clear any holds on your Student Account. Please check for holds in Athena by going to Student > Student Records > View Holds.
- Academic Advisement – Please email Donna Holcomb and include your full name exactly as it appears in Athena to clear the advisement hold.
- Verify Lawful Presence
- The following documents may be used for verification purposes. Copies may be sent to email@example.com.
- Only one document is required.
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570)
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561)
- A Certificate of Birth issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) (copies must be of an original or certified birth certificate bearing an official seal. Copies that are not clear or do not show the seal cannot be accepted.)
- A current U.S. passport
- A current driver’s license issued by the state of Georgia after January 1, 2008 A current state-issued ID issued by the state of Georgia after January 1, 2008 A current military ID, submitted in person (service member only, not dependent)
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)
- A Certified Birth Certificate showing that you were born in the United States or a U.S. Territory; a photocopy is not acceptable. This must be delivered or mailed to the Office of Graduate Admissions. We are not able to return these documents.
- If you are not currently a U.S. citizen and you are not residing in the U.S. or if you are present in the U.S. as a U.S. permanent resident, you must submit alternative documentation to prove your lawful presence in the U.S. Please visit the Graduate School Residency Policy page for additional information on accepted documentation.
- Health Immunization – You can go directly to the University Health Center if you are in town or you can contact them at (706) 542-1162. You can also refer to the Health Center Immunization Forms page for more information and to download the forms. If you are enrolled in a 100% online program, your immunization hold can be waived. Please contact the department’s program coordinator Donna Holcomb and provide your full name as it appears in Athena to request an immunization waiver if you will never be on campus for your program.
- Student Accounts Acknowledgement – You can clear this hold in Athena by going to Student > Student Records > Clear Student Accounts Acknowledgement Hold.
- Contact Information - You can clear this hold in Athena by going to Student > Student Records > View Holds>Clear Contact Information Hold. Detailed Contact Information Hold instructions from the University's Registrar office.
If you are granted access to register for a course after receiving an error message, you must register using the CRN number on the register/adjust schedule screen of Athena so the system will recognize the override you have been given.
Permission of Department
You must have the permission of the department to register for this class. Many of the courses that contain POD restrictions are reserved for special populations of students such as MSNT-Online Community Nutrition students, departmental Double Dawg students, School Nutrition Director Certification students, and Obesity & Weight Management certificate students. If you are part of one of these special populations and you are following your program of study and need a POD, email Donna Holcomb with your full name as it appears in Athena, the course name, and CRN to request an override. If you are not in a population of students that is required to take the course, we cannot grant access to a seat until all students required to take the course have registered. If there are remaining seats, they will be made available no sooner than 10 days before the start of the semester.
This occurs when a student listed as an undergraduate is attempting to register for a class at the graduate level. If you are a Double Dawg student and you are attempting to register for a class on your program of study, contact the pathway advisor, Donna Holcomb, with the course name, CRN, your full name as it appears in Athena and request an override. You should be able to register within 24-48 hours. You must use the CRN number for the system to recognize you have special permission to register. If you are a newly admitted graduate student and previous UGA undergradate student and have a level restriction, contact Laura Leigh Richardson with the information as noted above.
You must be in a specific program in order to register for the course. For example, FDNS 8560: Proposal Writing is only open to Foods & Nutrition MS or PhD students. If the course is required for your program of study please email the course name, CRN, your full name as it appears in Athena to Laura Leigh Richardson and request a program override. If the course is required for your program you will be granted access to register. You should be able to register within 24-48 hours of sending your request. You must enter the CRN number on the register/adjust schedule screen of Athena for the system to recognize you have special permission to register.
The number of registered students has reached capacity for the course. If the course is a requirement for your program of study and you must take it this semester to be on track for graduation, email Laura Leigh Richardson to request an override with your full name as it appears in Athena, the course name, CRN and explain why you must be enrolled in this course this semester.
Error messages typically affecting Double Dawgs students
The system does not see the required pre-requisite course(s) on your academic transcript. This can occur if you have transferred from another institution. Please email Laura Leigh Richardson to request an override with your full name as it appears in Athena, the course name, CRN, what pre-requisite course you have not taken or the system does not recognize. If you have not yet taken the pre-requisite course explain when you will be completing it. The instructor of the course will be asked to determine if an override can be granted. It can take several days for the instructor to respond.
The system does not see the required co-requisite course(s) on your academic transcript or on your schedule of classes for the term in which you are registering. This can occur if you have transferred from another institution. Please email Laura Leigh Richardson with the course name, CRN, the co-requisite course you have not taken or the system may not recognize. If you have not yet taken the co-requisite course include when you will be completing it. We will reach out to the instructor of the course to determine if we can grant an override. It may take several days for the instructor to respond.
You must be in a specific major to enroll in this course. For example, FDNS 4070: Research Methods is only open to Dietetics majors. If the course is required for your major please email the course name, CRN, your full name as if appears in Athena to Laura Leigh Richardson and request a major override. If the course is required for your major, we will grant you access to register, provided there is a seat available.