Jun 30, 2020
- Congratulations to Olivia Taylor for successfully defending her master's thesis on 6/25 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "A survey of Cooperative Extension youth hands-on cooking programs in Georgia and related affecting factors."
- Congratulations to Jo Shieh who has been recommended to receive the Leilia Alberta Ritchie Mize Scholarship by the College of FACS for the 2020 summer session. Jo is one of approximately 50 graduate students in the College selected to receive this one-time scholarship. As a recipient of a College scholarship, Jo will be invited to the Celebrating Excellence Luncheon, which will be held in October, Date TBD. Jo’s photo was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/30.
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley who recently became a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND). The FAND designation recognizes Dr. Coheley’s commitment to the field of nutrition and dietetics, and celebrates her professional accomplishments and pursuit of life-long learning.
Jun 23, 2020
- Congratulations to Taylor Newman who was selected for this year's American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences' (AAFCS) Jewell L. Taylor Graduate Fellowship. The AAFCS awards graduate fellowships to individuals who have exhibited the potential to make contributions to the family and consumer sciences profession. The Taylor Fellowship was established through a generous bequest from Jewell L. Taylor, a dedicated family and consumer sciences professional for more than 50 years. A photo of Taylor was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/22.
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler who was elected to 2-year terms on the following AHA Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Committees: Leadership Committee (Member at Large), Nominations Committee, and Health Nutrition Committee (renewal). Dr. Sattler was also invited to serve as a as reviewer for Circulation (impact factor 23.054) and to review a scientific position statement by the American Heart Association, which is pending publication in the coming year.
Jun 16, 2020
- Congratulations to new FDN faculty member Sina Gallo and her team, who are recipients of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics Foundation’s 2020 Anita Owen Award of Recognition for Innovative Nutrition Education for their pediatric weight management program for Latino families entitled, "Vidas Activas y Familias Saludables."
Jun 09, 2020
- Congratulations to Nick Slagel for successfully defending his doctoral dissertation on 6/3 via Zoom. The title of his presentation was, "The Effects of a Fruit and Vegetable Prescription (FVRx) Program for Low-income Adults."
May 20, 2020
- Congratulations to Hayley Sanders for successfully defending her master's thesis on 5/14 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "The development of a text message-based intervention to improve nutrition practices in the home among parents of young children." A photo of Hayley was shared on the FDN Facebook page.
- Congratulations to Xi Fang for being selected as an Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Finalist, which recognizes the very best research presented by students and young investigators during the American Society for Nutrition NUTRITION 2020 meeting. The title of Xi's abstract is, "Effect of Maternal Supplementation of Lutein on Brain Functional Organization of Offspring in a Piglet Model." Her abstract will be marked with a special award icon on the schedule planner and mobile app during the meeting to highlight her accomplishment as an Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Finalist. For those of you attending NUTRITION 2020 LIVE ONLINE, please be sure to view her presentation. Xi's abstract was also invited for a flash talk during the Carotenoids and Retinoids Interest Group (CARIG) RIS Forum. A photo of Xi was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 5/15.
- Congratulations to Nutritional Sciences major Robyn Salzberg for receiving the 2020 Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award. This award recognizes outstanding research conducted by undergraduate students currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in the College of FACS.
May 13, 2020
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Klingbeil who successfully defended her dissertation on 5/7 via Zoom! The title of her presentation was, "Manipulation of the gut microbiota attenuates the negative effects of high-fat diet." A photo of Elizabeth was posted on the FDN Facebook page.
May 06, 2020
- Dean Fox announced the newest members of the Faculty Advisory Committee for 2020-2021, and these include FDN faculty Chad Paton, Ginnefer Cox, and Jung Sun Lee. Congratulations!
- Featured Graduates from FDN were announced and include Karina Patel, Alexa Taylor, Olivia Taylor, Resean Wallace, Christine Graaf, Lauren Coheley, Julie Dean, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Carin Booth, Morgan Rossi, Carolina Cawthon, Lydia Averette, Sylvia Chen, Caroline Henning, and Nick Slagel. These student profiles were also shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/30.
- Congratulations to the new and returning FACS Ambassadors from FDN:
- Yemi Adelugba, Nutritional Sciences
- Jake Conner, Dietetics
- Bailey Davis, Dietetics
- Sam Hill, Culinary Science and Nutrition
- Miller Lantis, Nutritional Sciences
- Freida Lim, Culinary Science and Nutrition & Dietetics
- Aashka Sheth, Nutritional Sciences
- Madison Sutton, Dietetics
- We are excited to welcome the following faculty and staff to our department:
- Kandice Mitchell, Business Manager II, start date: 5/1
- Sina Gallo, Associate Professor, start date: 8/1
- Joseph Kindler, Assistant Professor, start date: 8/1
Apr 28, 2020
- Congratulations once again to nutritional sciences major Resean Wallace, one of just 41 UGA students to earn the Presidential Award of Excellence. This distinction is awarded to undergraduate students in their final year of study who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, strong extracurricular involvement and/or service to and involvement in their respective school or college. Students selected for this award exemplify the best of UGA’s undergraduate student body. Resean's photo was shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/23 (also see Kudos 3/31).
Apr 21, 2020
- Congratulations to Jamie Cooper for receiving the 2020 CURO Research Mentoring Award! Dr. Cooper received this award for her commitment to developing undergraduate researchers at UGA through transformational learning experiences. A photo was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 4/17.
- Nutritional Sciences major Wilkray Biboum was honored in the UGA student profile, "Bloom where you’re planted: Student finds place at UGA," published on 4/16. This profile was also shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/17.
Apr 14, 2020
Caree Cotwright and colleagues (including current FDN members Jung Sun Lee, Ginnefer Cox, Sarah Stotz, and Chisom Okoli) have had two papers recently accepted for publication:
- Cotwright, CJ, Bradley, H, Celestin, N, Lee, JS, Hall, J, Stotz, S, Birch, L. (2020). Determining eLearning Preferences to Inform Beverage Policy Training for Georgia Child Care Providers. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Accepted.
- Cotwright, CJ, Alvis, C, Jimenez, F, Farmer, P, Okoli, C, DeLane, J, Cox, GO. (2020). Improving Willingness to Try Fruits and Vegetables among Low-Income Children through Use of Characters. Health Equity. Accepted.
Apr 07, 2020
Congratulations to the newest members of the student dietetic association (SDA) board for 2020-2021. Their names were announced in a post on the SDA and FDN Facebook pages on 4/3:
- President: Kinsey Hargis
- Vice President: Catherine Ruter
- Secretary: Emmaline Peterson
- Treasurer: Laney Jones
- PR Chair: Kiah Shannon
- Community Service: Emily Crum
- Communications Chair: Libby Siegel
- Social Chair: Mayra Patino
Mar 31, 2020
- Xi Fang received the Endsley-Peifer Student Research Paper Award for her published paper in the physical/biological sciences. The title of her paper is, "Effect of Acute Ingestion of Green Tea Extract and Lemon Juice on Oxidative Stress and Lipid Profile in Pigs Fed a High-Fat Diet," published in Antioxidants. Hea Jin Park is Xi’s faculty mentor.
- Nutritional Sciences major Resean Wallace was selected as a recipient of the UGA Presidential Award of Excellence. Individuals receiving this award represent the top 1% of undergraduates at UGA who excel not only in academics, but also in their service the community and in their leadership both on and off campus.
- Photos of Xi and Resean were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 3/31.
Mar 10, 2020
Congratulations to the FDN faculty who have been selected to receive 2020 awards of excellence from the College of Family and Consumer sciences! This news was also shared in an FDN Facebook post on 3/7:
- Ali Berg is the recipient of the Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award
- Hea Jin Park is the recipient of the Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research Award
- Lilian Sattler is the recipient of the Early Career Faculty Research Award
Mar 03, 2020
- Lauren Coheley was recently announced as the next president-elect of GAND (the Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics). Congratulations!
- Congratulations once again to Liana Rodrigues for winning the 2020 Holly B. Alley Scholarship from the Georgia Nutrition Council. Photos of Liana receiving her award in Statesboro can be viewed in an FDN Facebook post on 2/28.
Feb 18, 2020
- Congratulations to Hea Jin Park for receiving a courtesy faculty appointment and graduate faculty status at the Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences (ADS). Dr. Park’s research pigs are housed in ADS, and her courtesy appointment will help further collaborations with their faculty and students.
- Congratulations to Liana Rodriques who is the winner of the 2020 Georgia Nutrition Council (GNC) Holly B. Alley Scholarship! Liana will receive her award at the GNC Annual Conference held from 2/27-28 in Statesboro.
- The Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (GAND) Awards for 2020 have been announced, and the following were awarded to faculty, students, and alumni of the department. Recipients will receive their awards at the GAND Annual Conference held from 3/25-26 in Decatur. Photos of the GNC and GAND award winners were also posted on the FDN Facebook page on 2/14.
- Emerging Dietetic Leader: Britt Rotberg
- Outstanding DPD Student Award: Caroline Henning
- Outstanding DI Student Award: Ani Powell
- Young Diet Technician of the Year: Mariah McDaniel
- Distinguished Service to the Media: Emma Laing
- Distinguished Service by a Researcher: Caree Cotwright
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year for the NE District: Jennifer (Fleming) Price
- UGA SNAP-Ed had another big shout out to their eLearning program from the USDA FNS Administrator, Pam Miller, at the 2020 Association of SNAP Nutrition Education Administrators (ASNNA) Conference in Arlington, VA, held 2/3-2/6. During her USDA FNS update to the ASNNA Conference attendees, including ~250 federal, state, and local SNAP-Ed implementing agency representatives, she commended the UGA SNAP-Ed eLearning program as an example of innovative evidence-based programming. Also, several states including TX, MS, and WI, are creating online SNAP-Ed programs based on the UGA SNAP-Ed experiences and recommendations shared through several peer-reviewed journal articles.
Feb 08, 2020
- The article published about Jamie Cooper’s research, "Daily self-weighing can prevent holiday weight gain," was named as one of the top @UGAResearch stories of 2019. Congratulations!
- The article published about Emily Noble’s research, "Researchers discover brain circuit linked to food impulsivity," was named the top story by UGA's Division of Marketing & Communications in December 2019. Congratulations!
Jan 28, 2020
- Congratulations to Rick Lewis who was recently appointed as an emeritus faculty member. This title, which recognizes Dr. Lewis’ "honorable and distinguished service" at UGA, was effective 1/1/20.
Jan 21, 2020
- Congratulations once again to Jamie Cooper for being selected as one of the 2019-2020 Women’s Leadership Fellows (also see Kudos 12/5/19). Jamie was featured in a UGA Today article published on 1/16.
- Congratulations once again to Elizabeth Andress for her selection as the 2019 Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) Region II Postsecondary Teacher of the Year award (also see Kudos 10/15/19). Elizabeth was featured on page 6 of the 1/13 print issue of Columns.
- Emma Laing is the recipient of the 2020 FACS Alumni Association Creswell Award. To learn more about the recipients of the FACS Alumni Awards, visit the FACS News article published on 1/16. Recipients will be recognized at the awards ceremony held on 3/21 at the Classic Center.
Dec 17, 2019
- Congratulations to all of our graduates who participated in the winter 2019 commencement festivities! Photos of the FACS Convocation ceremony, which was held on 12/13, were shared on the FACS Facebook page.
Dec 10, 2019
- Brittany Bogusz and Sarah Beth Massengale were named as FACS Featured Graduates for December 2019! View their profiles posted on the FACS Facebook page on 12/9.
Dec 05, 2019
- Congratulations to Jamie Cooper on being selected to participate in the Women’s Leadership Fellows Program for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Congratulations to Silvia Giraudo who was inducted into the UGA Teaching Academy on 11/25.
- The following faculty/staff have been nominated by at least one graduate in UGA’s Class of 2019 as a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success: Donna Holcomb, Emma Laing, Ginnefer Cox, Claire de La Serre, Alex Anderson, and Robert Pazdro. As part of the UGA Career Center Career Outcomes Survey, students and recent alumni were asked to identify UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process (also see Kudos 11/21).
- At the College Convocation ceremony, which will be held on 12/13, Sarah Beth Massengale will be recognized as Outstanding Senior and Brittany Bogusz and Audrey Green will serve as Student Marshals for FDN. Congratulations!
Nov 21, 2019
- Madison Read, one of UGA's Amazing Students, mentioned Alex Anderson and the Ghana service-learning program in her bio, which was published on 11/3.
- As part of the UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students were asked to identify UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Alex Anderson and Emma Laing received notification from the UGA Career Center that at least one graduate in the Class of 2019 has identified each of them "as a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
- On 10/23, the UGA College of Family and Consumer Sciences honored our outstanding faculty at the Celebrating Excellence Luncheon (also see Kudos 10/29). Congratulations once again to Art Grider, Rob Pazdro, Silvia Giraudo, Ginnefer Cox, Elizabeth Andress, and Ali Berg who were among those recognized this year. Photos of these faculty were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 11/5. Many FDN faculty and students are also shown in a FACS Facebook album posted on 11/6 that includes photos taken by Wingate Downs.
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley on the successful defense of her doctoral dissertation on 10/30. Lauren's presentation was titled, "The Link Between Dietary Protein, Egg Intake, and Inflammation on Pediatric Bone Development." Photos of Lauren were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 10/31.
Oct 29, 2019
- Congratulations to Emily Noble who received the Rolls-Simons Travel Award from The Obesity Society. This award is part of The Obesity Society’s commitment to young investigators in the field of obesity research. The award was established by TOS Past President Barbara Rolls after losing her mother, Pat Simons, to obesity-related disease. Dr. Noble will giving a talk at The Obesity Society meeting held 11/3-7 in Las Vegas, NV, entitled "Elevated Gut Parabacteroides Due to Early Life Sugar Consumption Impairs Memory Function in Rats."
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler for her role in facilitating the AHA Lifestyle Council in being selected as one of four top Councils (out of 16) to be recognized for excellence within the AHA. Part of the selection criteria included Council Membership and Early Career Collaboration, and the Early Career committee, on which Lilian Sattler serves as Chair, has contributed to success in both of these categories by increasing membership by 20% over the last year and offering innovative collaborative programming that became a major success of this year's AHA EPI/Lifestyle Scientific Sessions.
- On 10/23, FACS recognized donors, students, faculty, and staff at the annual Celebrating Excellence event at the Georgia Center. Congratulations to all the student scholarship recipients as well as our faculty and staff honorees. Photos were shared on the FACS Facebook page, and below is the impressive list of award winners from FDN:
- Carolyn D. Berdanier Nutrition Science Support
- Shreya Pandya, Elizabeth C. Hamrick
- Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award
- Madelyn Hansen, Jillien Zukaitis
- Eleonora M. Costa Graduate Support
- Xi Fang, Julie Jeon, Yura Son
- Endsley-Peifer Student Research Award
- Bill and June Flatt Student Achievement Fund
- Zena Costa Brown Scholarship
- Glenn and Helen Burton Feeding the Hungry Scholarship
- Thomas F. Comer Scholarship
- Pearce L. and Mary Wells Elkins Scholarship
- FACS Alumni Association Scholarship
- FACS Alumni Association - 4-H
- The Nancy Hailey and Sis Strickland Hailey Scholarship
- Abby Bailey, Yuta Ishikawa
- Sharon Boone Hamner Foods and Nutrition Scholarship
- Katz Family Award
- Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship
- Chisom Okoli, Elizabeth Cogan, Olivia Delgado, Mary Catherine Prater, Mai Spaulding
- George Griffeth and Leolene Chapman Montgomery Scholarship
- Emma Epps, Elizabeth Wood
- Ruth Rowan Morrison Graduate Fellowship in Nutrition Studies
- Gladys F. (Nannie) Nesbitt/Flatt Education Fund in FACS
- Sydney Cox, Julie Dean, Corrie Fletcher
- Gwendolyn Brooks O’Connell Scholarship
- Melynda Flatt Reid Dietetics Scholarship
- Jessica Beasley, Jake Conner, Caroline Henning, Devin Logan, Shekiah Shannon, Ana Ulloa
- Elise Bray Richey Scholarship
- Pam McIntyre Thompson, R.D. Scholarship
- Nancy Virginia Price Turner Scholarship
- Marian Wang Nutrition Scholarship
- Madison Spek, Hannah Wilson
- Karin Elizabeth Willis Scholarship
- Glenn Burton International Study Award
- Madelyn Hansen, Julie Dean
- Marihope Troutman Flatt International Study Scholarship
- Charity Conner, Kathren Royston, Grace Saboe, Shannon Myszkowski, Caroline Wieler
- Anne Montgomery Haltiwanger International Study Abroad Award
- Ani Chinonso, Jodie Ehorn
- Betty Sewell Ragland International Study Award
- Annalisa Botchway, Laura Triana
- Sally Schley Stith Scholarship International Study Award
- Dr. Chris Todd Outstanding Outreach Award
- Elizabeth Andress, Alison Berg, Ginnefer Cox
- Super-Includer Diversity Award
- Early Career Faculty Research Award
- Sweaney Innovation Fund
- Susan Hale Brooks Professional Development
- Georgia Athletic Association Professorship in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Flatt Professorship in Foods and Nutrition
- UGA Foundation Professorship in Family and Consumers Sciences
Oct 22, 2019
- Congratulations to FACS Ambassador and nutritional sciences major Wilkray Biboum, who was crowned as Homecoming King on 10/19! Wilkray's photo with President Morehead was shared on the FACSand FDN Facebook pages.
- Congratulations to nutritional sciences major Sage Royston who received one of the FACS Alumni Association scholarships for the 2019-20 school year.
Oct 15, 2019
- Elizabeth Andress has been named the 2019 Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) Region II Postsecondary Teacher of the Year! The press release honoring Dr. Andress was shared on 10/9 to the FACS website (it is currently on the home page) and on the FDN Facebook page.
- Congratulations to the 2019 UGA Homecoming court— and especially to nutritional sciences major Will Biboum! The king and queen will be announced during halftime at the UGA vs. Kentucky game on 10/19. Find out more about this year’s Homecoming activities here, including the FACS Homecoming Tailgate.
Oct 01, 2019
- Congratulations to Alex Marquardt who successfully defended her MS thesis on Tuesday, 9/24! Alex's advisory committee included Jamie Cooper, Lynn Bailey, and Chad Paton. Photos were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/30.
Sep 24, 2019
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler for being elected Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA) conferred by the Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health (LIFESTYLE). This is the highest recognition for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice and/or education, and volunteer service within the AHA/ASA. A photo of Dr. Sattler was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/18.
Sep 10, 2019
- Congratulations to Chad Paton who was recently elected as a Councilor for the Endocrinology & Metabolism section of the American Physiological Society. The term starts at EB in April 2020 and runs until 2023. A photo of Dr. Paton was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/7.
Sep 04, 2019
- FDN alumna Emily (Rollins) Miller, Bartow County School Nutrition Coordinator, and her district will be recognized at the 2019 Golden Radish Awards ceremony on 9/17 at the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Bartow County will accept the Platinum-level award, the highest designation, for taking unprecedented strides towards educating children on the importance of agriculture. A photo of Emily with an accompanying news story was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/4.
Aug 27, 2019
- Dietetics major Tori Simmons has been selected as a Student Host at this year’s Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®2019) in Philadelphia, PA. Tori has received a reduced registration rate to the conference ($35) as part of her selection. Congratulations!
Aug 20, 2019
- Two recipients have been selected for the Carolyn Berdanier Undergraduate Research Grants Program award this year. Congratulations to:
- Shreya Pandya; Major: Nutritional Sciences; Research title: "The Effect of Gram - Positive Bacterial Products on Nodose Ganglion Cultures;" Research mentor: Claire de La Serre
- Elizabeth C. Hamrick; Major: Nutritional Sciences; Research title: "Impact of maternal intake of lutein on neurodevelopment and brain oxidative stress in the offspring;" Research mentor: Hea Jin Park
Aug 13, 2019
- Claire de La Serre was recently elected to the board of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior. Congratulations!
- FDN alumna Camaria Welch received a 2019 scholarship from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She joins fellow scholarship winners Rachel Doxey, Lauren Coheley, Carolina Cawthon, and Hannah Wilson (also see Kudos 8/6), whose photos were posted to the FDN Facebook page on 8/7.
Aug 06, 2019
- Dietetics major Rachel Doxey is a recipient of the 2019-2020 Georgia Dietetic Foundation Scholarship. Congratulations!
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation Scholarship Committee has selected three FDN graduate students for 2019-2020 scholarships (each scholarship provides a monetary award to pursue academic endeavors):
- Lauren Coheley is the recipient of the Commission on Dietetics Registration Doctoral Scholarship
- Carolina Cawthon is the recipient of the Irene J. Jones Memorial Scholarship
- Hannah Wilson is the recipient of the Jessie C. Obert Memorial Scholarship
Jul 30, 2019
- Carolina Cawthon received the "Best Poster Presentation Award" at the Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB) held 7/9-13, 2019 in Utrecht, Netherlands. Carolina also received travel awards from the UGA Graduate School, FACS, and FDN to attend this conference. Photos were posted to the FDN Facebook page on 7/22, which also include a photo of Jiyoung Sammi Kim receiving her "New Investigator Travel Award" (also see Kudos 6/25).
- In April 2019, Carolina Cawthon was elected as Secretary of the UGA Blue Key Honor Society, and in July she was elected as a New Investigator Advisory Board member for the SSIB.
- Congratulations to Hannah Wilson who was honored as one of seven student scholarship winners to attend the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL from 7/27-30. A photo of Hannah receiving her award was posted to the FDN Facebook page on 7/29.
- In June 2019, several U.S. Utility and Plant Patents were awarded to the University of Georgia Research Foundation. Among these is a Performance Energy Strip invented by Jamie Cooper (Patent Number 10,307,435).
Jul 16, 2019
- Lauren Coheley was selected to receive the Michael E. Merriman Scholarship from the UGA Disability Resource Center. Lauren will be recognized for her achievement at the DRC’s Student and Faculty Recognition Reception on 11/14 in the Tate Grand Hall. Congratulations!
- Ali Berg’s programming for UGA Extension, Cooking for a Lifetime of Cancer Prevention, is on this list of interventions coming soon for the SNAP-Ed Toolkit. Jung Sun Lee and Edda Cotto-Rivera's Food Talk programs are also listed as evidenced-based interventions (see Kudos 6/25). A post congratulating these faculty and staff was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 7/14.