Jan 18, 2022
- Congratulations to Rick Lewis, Professor Emeritus for being selected as the recipient of this year’s FACS Distinguished Alumni Award! Dr. Lewis’ photo was posted on the NUTR Facebook page on 1/18.
Dec 14, 2021
- Congratulations to Courtney Vickery for receiving a nomination for this year’s ATHENA award through the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce. The ATHENA Award honors women who strive toward the highest levels of personal and professional accomplishment, who excel in their chosen field, and devote time and energy to their community. The luncheon was held the other week and the award will be announced in January. Stay tuned!
- Congratulations to our new SDA Executive Board members for the spring semester! Board members include:
o President: Emily Crum
o Vice President: Megan Tomlin
o Secretary: Amelia Valdez
o Treasurer: Laney Jones
o Public Relations Chair: Callie Davis
o Communications Chair: Mary Lazzaro
o Service Chair: Jamie Dibartolomeo
o Social Chair: Emily Neuhaus
Dec 07, 2021
- Nutritional sciences major Caroline Saye is highlighted as a featured graduate this week. Her profile was published on the FACS and NUTR Facebook pages on 12/7. Caroline has also been awarded the college’s Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Senior award, which she will receive at the FACS Convocation ceremony on 12/17. Congratulations!
Nov 23, 2021
- Congratulations to Rick Lewis and co-authors (C M Weaver, C M Gordon, K F Janz, H J Kalkwarf, J M Lappe, M Okarma, T C Wallace, B S Zemel) for receiving two awards from the journal Osteoporosis International for the manuscript titled, “The National Osteoporosis Foundation's position statement on peak bone mass development and lifestyle factors: a systematic review and implementation recommendations.” This paper was recognized this week for having the top altimetric score (382 score with >37,000 downloads) and being one of the journal’s top 10 cited manuscripts (950 citations).
Nov 16, 2021
- Congratulations to Chisom Okoli who has received several awards recently, including the 2021 Leila A. Mize Ritchie Endowment Fund from the College of FACS, the 2021 FACS Fund for Excellence award, and the 2021 NOPREN Student research scholarship.
Nov 09, 2021
- Congratulations to the following NUTR students and faculty mentors who were chosen for the inaugural FACS Undergraduate Research Award:
- Omeka Bhatia - Faculty Mentor: Emily Noble
- Shreya Pandya - Faculty Mentor: Claire de La Serre
- Robyn Salzberg - Faculty Mentor: Jamie Cooper
- Last week during the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) meeting, the 2020 awards were announced. Georgia FACS received four national awards, as well as several 2nd, 3rd and regional awards. A summary of the national awards is listed below.
o EDUCATIONAL CURRICULUM PACKAGE AWARD
§ 1st Place National Winner - Rachel Stewart & Team, Georgia: Healthy Georgia Wellness curriculum was developed to assist with employee wellness programs and community education. It is a 14-lesson series to address the whole concept of wellness from financial to physical wellness. Team Members: Susan Moore, Becky Collins, Laura Smith, Georgeanne Cook, Terri Black, Marnie Dekle, Carrie Vanderver, Lisa Jordan, Rachel Hubbard, Denise Everson, Alison Berg, Pamula Turner, Elizabeth Andress, Diane Bales, Joan Koonce, Judy Harrison, Michael Rupured, Kisha Faulk, and Jackie Ogden
o MARKETING PACKAGE AWARD
§ 1st Place National Winner - Susan Moore & Team, Georgia: "UGA EFNEP Marketing Materials.” The UGA EFNEP team developed new and innovative recruitment materials that gave participants and agencies a greater understanding of our services resulting in increased awareness and visibility for EFNEP. Team Members: La Keshia Levi, Tiffany Williams, Rhea Bentley, Kimberly Howell, Rebecca Thomas, Ines Beltran, Carin Booth, Ida Jackson, Carla Moore, Cindee Sweda, Annette Montero, LaZavia Greer, Leslie Weaver, Diandria Barber, and Zoe Soltanmammedova
o PROGRAM EXCELLENCE THROUGH RESEARCH AWARD
§ 1st Place National Winner - Edda Cotto-Rivera & Team, Georgia: "A Systematic Evaluation guides the development of UGA SNAP-Ed Social Marketing programs." The findings, experiences, and lessons learned from the UGA SNAP-Ed FNV Campaign will inform the development of a new statewide Social Marketing campaign tailored to low-income Georgians. Team Members: Jung Sun Lee, Joanna Akin, Vibha Bhargava, Danielle Anthony, Laurel Sanville, Allisen Penn, Austin Childers, Marnie Dekle, Lisa Jodan, Jennine DeLane, Michelle Mcqueen, and Darci Bell
Nov 03, 2021
- Congratulations to Yuta Ishikawa who successfully defended his PhD dissertation on Tuesday, 11/2! The title of his talk was, "Diabetes Management in Heart Failure." A photo of Yuta and his committee was posted on the NUTR Facebook page. Fun fact: Yuta and his committee together represent citizenships from 5 different continents!
- The abstract presented at the SNEB 2021 meeting, P87 Imparting Anti-Diet and Weight Inclusive Approaches in a University Dietetics Curriculum by Emma Laing (co-authors: Slagel, N.; Clifford, D.; Hightower, W.; Harris, C.; Wang, Y.; Hall, D). published in the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior (Vol. 53 | No. 7), was among the most read articles in the journal. The Most Read articles are compiled quarterly from those opened through the www.jneb.org website.
Oct 12, 2021
- The College of FACS Celebrating Excellence Recognition Program was released on 10/12. The program celebrates the amazing achievements of our department’s students, faculty, and staff. Please take a moment to celebrate these accomplishments of your mentors and peers. In the digital program, you will see red YouTube icons that link to video messages recorded specifically for each award recipient honored in 2021 (Rob Pazdro, Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Advisor, and Emma Laing, Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Teacher of the Year, are among these). Numerous graduate and undergraduate students are honored, and esteemed professorships are listed (Jung Sun Lee, Georgia Athletic Association Professorship in Family and Consumer Sciences III, Lynn Bailey, Flatt Professorship in Foods and Nutrition, and Jamie Cooper, Flatt Professorship with a Focus on Childhood Obesity).
Oct 06, 2021
- Congratulations to Omeka Bhatia who received the FACS Undergraduate Research Opportunity grant!
Sep 28, 2021
- Congratulations to Sylvie Kangni who will be working with the global Nutrition Science team as a summer intern for the Coca-Cola Company!
- Congratulations to the winners of the Carolyn Berdanier Undergraduate Research Grants Program this year: Omeka Bhatia and Jessica Lam! Photos were added to the NUTR Facebook page on 9/28.
o Omeka’s project is titled, “Hippocampal Insulin Resistance,” and her faculty mentor is Emily Noble.
o Jessica's project is titled, "Defining the role of the gut microbiota in the development of the gut-brain axis,” and her faculty mentor is Claire de La Serre.
Sep 14, 2021
- Congratulations to Liana Guarneiri who was awarded the 2021 Janette Smith Memorial Scholarship by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. A photo of Liana was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 8/23.
Sep 08, 2021
- Congratulations to Jaclyn Barta who was awarded the 2021 Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship.
- Congratulations to Nutritional Sciences major Shreya Pandya who is the recipient of the FACS Alumni Association Scholarship. View this link to learn more about Shreya!
- Ali Berg was part of a team (U Arizona, U Tennessee, U Georgia) that has won an accelerator award from the Extension Foundation New Technologies for Ag Extension Projects: An Extension Implementation Toolkit for the Diabetes Prevention Program.
- Tracey Brigman and Allisen Penn also won an accelerator award from the same Extension Foundation program, New Technologies for Ag Extension Projects: The National Center for Home Food Preservation and Artificial Intelligence Enhanced Search.
Sep 01, 2021
- Congratulations to Jessica Strosahl who was awarded the 2021 Beatrice Donaldson David Graduate Scholarship in Foodservice Administration by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. A photo of Jessica was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 8/23.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Jacee Baldivid who has been selected to serve as an intern for the SSAC. Along with 5 other interns, Jacee will be involved with prospective student recruitment, programming, student organizations, student engagement, internships/fellowships, social media, and future semester planning.
- Congratulations to Taylor Lowe who received the Women's Health Dietetics Practice Group Diversity Mini-Grant Student Partner Award!
Aug 24, 2021
- Congratulations to our Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation’s 2021 Scholarship winners, PhD students Darci Bell and Chisom Okoli! Darci has been selected to receive the Maxine F. and Arlene M. Wilson Scholarship and Chisom is the recipient of the Mary Swartz Rose Memorial Graduate Scholarship. Photos were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 8/23.
- Congratulations once again to Elizabeth Andress (2021 Outstanding FACS Professional) and alumna Ashleigh Childs (2021 New Achiever) who were recipients of awards presented during the 2021 Annual GAFCS Conference, held virtually on 3/5. Photos were shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 8/17.
Jul 28, 2021
- Our UGA online MS in foods and nutrition-community nutrition program has been named the best online master’s in nutrition program by The Best Schools. Our program is also recognized by Best Colleges as one of the country’s top online nutrition master’s programs. The press release was published in FACS News on 7/15 and was shared on the NUTR and FACS Facebook pages.