May 10, 2022
- Jillien Zukaitis, a Double Dawg student in Dr. Park’s lab, successfully completed her MS defense on 5/4. Her thesis title is, “Effects of Maternal Supplementation of Egg Yolk on the Choline Status and Cognition of the Offspring in a Swine Model.” Jillien will start her dietetic internship at Winthrop University at South Carolina starting this fall.
- Congratulations to Alexa Burnett who successfully defended her MS thesis on 5/5 titled, “4-H Science Chefs, An Adapted FoodMASTER Curriculum: Evaluating the Feasibility of the Curriculum and the Effects on the Home Food Environment.” Alexa’s photo was posted on the NUTR Facebook page on 5/6.
- Congratulations to our department's student-athletes, Miller Lantis (Nutritional Sciences and Biology), Hannah Jane Lucas (Nutritional Sciences), Morgan Tabler (Dietetics), Tally Brown (Dietetics), and Kelliann Howell (Family and Consumer Science Education), for earning a spot on the 2021-22 SEC Winter Honor Roll! This news was also shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 5/5. Congratulations also to nutritional sciences major Miller Lantis for receiving the SEC Brad Davis Community Service Award.
- Congratulations to the NUTR Featured Graduates for Spring 2022 named by the UGA College of Family and Consumer Sciences (Maggie Green, Liana Guarneiri, Laney Jones, Julia Lance, Mariah McDaniel, and Jack Smith)! Read more about these talented students here. Photos were shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 5/9.
- Congratulations to Alex Anderson for the submission he led on behalf of his Multistate Research Team, which won the Western Region Excellence in Research Award. The title of the project is, “Parental practices supporting positive eating behaviors during independent eating occasions among early adolescent children.” The winning project receives an opportunity to provide a presentation about the project during an awards program at the Western Region Joint Summer Meeting on 6/29 in Concord, CA, and will represent the region in the national competition.
May 03, 2022
- Congratulations to nutritional sciences major Ashley-Kaye Fonkeng on being inducted into Blue Key! Ashley’s photo was shared on the FACS and NUTR Facebook pages on 4/27.
- Congratulations to post-bacc/dietetics student Tevin Duncan who is officially a state-wide record holder in powerlifting! Coming back to competition following a severe injury, Tevin earned the spot of #1 in the state and #6 in the nation at his recent USA Powerlifting event. Photos of Tevin were shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 5/3.
Apr 26, 2022
- We would like to congratulate dietetics major Laney Jones for receiving the Presidential Award for Excellence! Students selected for this award exemplify the best of UGA’s undergraduate student body. Laney’s photo was shared on the NUTR and FACS Facebook pages on 4/21.
Apr 19, 2022
- Congratulations to Emily Noble who is the recipient of an ASN Foundation National Scientific Achievement Award! Dr. Noble received the Young Investigator "Bio-Serv Award in Experimental Animal Nutrition," which is given for meritorious research in nutrition accomplished by an investigator within 10 years of postgraduate training. Please join us in congratulating Dr. Noble on this most prestigious national research award from the American Society for Nutrition/ASN Foundation. Read the full announcement here. This news was also shared in an article published on the FACS website as well as in posts on the FACS and NUTR Facebook pages.
- Congratulations to Claire de La Serre for receiving the Acta Physiologica Award by the Scandinavian Physiological Society! Dr. de La Serre and colleagues (Molly McDougle, Danielle Quinn, Charlene Diepenbroek, Arashdeep Singh, Guillaume de Lartigue) received this award for the best article published in Acta Physiologica entitled, “Intact vagal gut-brain signalling prevents hyperphagia and excessive weight gain in response to high-fat high-sugar diet.” Full details about the prize can be found here, including the generous monetary award (“the highest award of its kind”) and the awarding ceremony, which includes a plenary lecture at the Europhysiology-Meetings as well as a grand banquet. This news was also shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 4/19.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Julia Lance who was recognized as an Outstanding Senior Leader at the 2022 SOAR Awards Banquet on 4/12! SOAR awards recognize students, organizations, and advisors for their commitment to excellence and significant contributions to the campus and community. Julia was one of 10 senior leaders to represent UGA, and she will be featured in the 2022 yearbook. Photos of Julia were shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 4/13.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Devin Logan who was selected as one of the top 75 UGA Student Employees of the Year in 2022! The Career Center’s awards ceremony took place during National Student Employment Week, a week devoted to honoring students who are working while attending college. There are approximately 5,000 on-campus student employees and placing in the top 75 is highly competitive.
- Congratulations to Melanie Ng who is one of the UGA Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award winners for 2022! The Center for Teaching and Learning administers the Outstanding Teaching Assistant award, which is sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Instruction. This award recognizes teaching assistants who demonstrate superior instructional skills while serving in the classroom or laboratory. Melanie was mentioned on the UGA Today webpage on 4/18.
- The university community will continue to celebrate Honors Week 2022 from 4/18-22 with a series of events that recognize excellence among students, staff, faculty, and alumni. Stay tuned for more news featuring members of our department!
Apr 12, 2022
- Congratulations to Melanie Ng who successfully defended her PhD dissertation on 3/23, titled "The Utilization of Sensory Evaluation Methodology to Examine the Acceptability of Recipes Within Federal Nutrition Education Programming." A photo of Melanie was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 4/8.
- Congratulations to Yura Son who successfully defended her PhD dissertation on 3/23, titled "The Metabolic Role of Free Fatty Acids on Cell Physiology." A photo of Yura was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 3/31.
- Congratulations to Liana Guarneiri who successfully defended her PhD dissertation on 3/30. The title of her presentation was, "The Impact of Pecan-Enriched Diets on Cardiovascular Disease Risk." A photo of Liana was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 4/1.
- Congratulations to the FACS Award winners from our department!
- Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Advisor Award: Alex Anderson
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Faculty Research Award: Claire de La Serre
- Early Career Faculty Research Award (Physical/biological): Emily Noble
- Nettie Marie Nickols Outstanding Staff Award: Tiffany Williams
- Endsley-Peifer Student Research Awards:
- Julie Jeon (Jeon, J., Lourenco, J., Kaiser, E., Waters, E., Scheulin, K. M., Fang, X., Kinder, H., Platt, S., Rothrock Jr., M., Callaway, T. R., West, F., & Park, H. J. (2020). Dynamic Changes in the gut microbiome at the acute stage of ischemic stroke in a pig model, Frontiers in Neuroscience)
- Prince Kwabena Osie (Osei, P. K., Appiah, C., & Anderson, A. K. (2021). Impact of dietetic intervention on metabolic syndrome patients attending diet therapy clinic: A prospective, single-arm Intervention Study, Global Journal of Health Science)
- Congratulations to Davia Allen who has been recommended by the College of FACS to receive the Richard Lewis Research Award for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Mar 30, 2022
- Congratulations to this group of 8 faculty, staff, students, and alumni who received awards from the Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics this year. Awards were announced at the GAND Annual Conference and Expo on 3/23 in this video, and photos of the winners were also shared on the NUTR Facebook page.
- Staci Belcher: Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year
- Darci Bell: Distinguished Service to the Northeast District
- Alison Berg: Distinguished Service by a Researcher
- Tracey Brigman: Distinguished Service for Media Excellence
- Amanda Kennedy: Recognized Nutrition and Dietetics Technician of the Year
- Melanie Ng: Outstanding Dietetic Student Award (DI)
- Emmaline Peterson: Outstanding Dietetic Student Award (DPD)
- Courtney Vickery: Emerging Dietetic Leader
- UGA Foundation Professor Emeritus Rick Lewis received the Distinguished Alumni Award this year at the 43rd Annual FACS Alumni Awards Celebration on 3/26. A full recap of the event can be found here. Photos were shared on the NUTR and FACS Facebook pages and the FACS Flickr page.
- Congratulations to the following faculty and staff who received college-level awards. Recipients will receive their plaques during the FACS College Assembly on 4/7.
- Tiffany Williams: Nettie Marie Nickols Outstanding Staff Award
- Emily Noble: Early Career Faculty Research Award
- Claire de La Serre: Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Faculty Research Award
Mar 01, 2022
- Congratulations to Lauren Housley who was selected to serve as a Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors representative on the ACEND Expanded Standards Committee. As a member of this committee, Dr. Housley will be reviewing advanced practice doctorate standards, which is critical to advancing our profession. This news was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 2/25.
- Congratulations to Jaclyn Barta, recipient of the Student Research Award, and Emma Laing, recipient of the Award of Excellence, from the Georgia Nutrition Council. Awards were presented at the 2022 GNC Conference which took place on 2/24-25. Chisom Okoli and alumna Madison Sutton also received their GNC scholarship awards at this conference (see Kudos 2/8).
Feb 22, 2022
- Congratulations to our graduate students who received 7 of the 9 awards presented at the Obesity Initiative Symposium! Competitions were judged by the guest speakers and faculty across several colleges on campus. A photo of some of our award winners was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 2/22.
- Chisom Okoli- 1st place in the oral presentation competition
- Liana Guarneiri- 1st place in clinical/community poster competition
- Yura Son- 1st place in the basic science poster division
- Grace Madu- 2nd place in the basic science poster division
- Betsy Cogan- 2nd place in the clinical/community poster division
- Catherine Prater- 2nd place in the oral presentation competition
- Christabel Domfe- 3rd place in the oral presentation competition
Feb 15, 2022
- As part of the most recent UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students identified UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Congratulations to Silvia Giraudo and Alex Anderson who were each identified by members of the Class of 2021 as "a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
Feb 08, 2022
- As part of the most recent UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students identified UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Congratulations to Donna Holcomb, Emma Laing, and Tracey Brigman who were each identified by members of the Class of 2021 as "a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
- Congratulations to this year's Georgia Nutrition Council Scholarship winners: Doctoral student Chisom Okoli received the Holly B. Alley Scholarship and NUTR alumna Madison Sutton received the Rita Waters Scholarship. Chisom and Madison will officially receive their awards at the 2022 GNC Conference “Embracing Nutrition for All: Promoting Diversity, Inclusion and Equity in Health & Nutrition” being held virtually from 2/23-25. This scholarship announcement was shared on the GNC Facebook page on 2/8.
Feb 01, 2022
- Congratulations to Wang Shin (Ann) Lei who received a Student Traineeship Award from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The project is titled, “Changes in biomarkers of bone turnover and incretin hormones following glucose ingestion in adolescents and young adults with pancreatic insufficient cystic fibrosis.”
Jan 25, 2022
- Congratulations to Tracey Brigman for receiving notification that she will be promoted to Clinical Associate Professor effective 2022-2023. Dr. Brigman's promotion is a major professional achievement and signifies the valuable contributions she makes to our department, college, and university. A photo was added to the NUTR Facebook page on 1/25.
Jan 18, 2022
- Congratulations to Rick Lewis, Professor Emeritus for being selected as the recipient of this year’s FACS Distinguished Alumni Award! Dr. Lewis’ photo was posted on the NUTR Facebook page on 1/18.
Dec 14, 2021
- Congratulations to Courtney Vickery for receiving a nomination for this year’s ATHENA award through the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce. The ATHENA Award honors women who strive toward the highest levels of personal and professional accomplishment, who excel in their chosen field, and devote time and energy to their community. The luncheon was held the other week and the award will be announced in January. Stay tuned!
- Congratulations to our new SDA Executive Board members for the spring semester! Board members include:
o President: Emily Crum
o Vice President: Megan Tomlin
o Secretary: Amelia Valdez
o Treasurer: Laney Jones
o Public Relations Chair: Callie Davis
o Communications Chair: Mary Lazzaro
o Service Chair: Jamie Dibartolomeo
o Social Chair: Emily Neuhaus
Dec 07, 2021
- Nutritional sciences major Caroline Saye is highlighted as a featured graduate this week. Her profile was published on the FACS and NUTR Facebook pages on 12/7. Caroline has also been awarded the college’s Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Senior award, which she will receive at the FACS Convocation ceremony on 12/17. Congratulations!
Nov 23, 2021
- Congratulations to Rick Lewis and co-authors (C M Weaver, C M Gordon, K F Janz, H J Kalkwarf, J M Lappe, M Okarma, T C Wallace, B S Zemel) for receiving two awards from the journal Osteoporosis International for the manuscript titled, “The National Osteoporosis Foundation's position statement on peak bone mass development and lifestyle factors: a systematic review and implementation recommendations.” This paper was recognized this week for having the top altimetric score (382 score with >37,000 downloads) and being one of the journal’s top 10 cited manuscripts (950 citations).
Nov 16, 2021
- Congratulations to Chisom Okoli who has received several awards recently, including the 2021 Leila A. Mize Ritchie Endowment Fund from the College of FACS, the 2021 FACS Fund for Excellence award, and the 2021 NOPREN Student research scholarship.
Nov 09, 2021
- Congratulations to the following NUTR students and faculty mentors who were chosen for the inaugural FACS Undergraduate Research Award:
- Omeka Bhatia - Faculty Mentor: Emily Noble
- Shreya Pandya - Faculty Mentor: Claire de La Serre
- Robyn Salzberg - Faculty Mentor: Jamie Cooper
- Last week during the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) meeting, the 2020 awards were announced. Georgia FACS received four national awards, as well as several 2nd, 3rd and regional awards. A summary of the national awards is listed below.
o EDUCATIONAL CURRICULUM PACKAGE AWARD
§ 1st Place National Winner - Rachel Stewart & Team, Georgia: Healthy Georgia Wellness curriculum was developed to assist with employee wellness programs and community education. It is a 14-lesson series to address the whole concept of wellness from financial to physical wellness. Team Members: Susan Moore, Becky Collins, Laura Smith, Georgeanne Cook, Terri Black, Marnie Dekle, Carrie Vanderver, Lisa Jordan, Rachel Hubbard, Denise Everson, Alison Berg, Pamula Turner, Elizabeth Andress, Diane Bales, Joan Koonce, Judy Harrison, Michael Rupured, Kisha Faulk, and Jackie Ogden
o MARKETING PACKAGE AWARD
§ 1st Place National Winner - Susan Moore & Team, Georgia: "UGA EFNEP Marketing Materials.” The UGA EFNEP team developed new and innovative recruitment materials that gave participants and agencies a greater understanding of our services resulting in increased awareness and visibility for EFNEP. Team Members: La Keshia Levi, Tiffany Williams, Rhea Bentley, Kimberly Howell, Rebecca Thomas, Ines Beltran, Carin Booth, Ida Jackson, Carla Moore, Cindee Sweda, Annette Montero, LaZavia Greer, Leslie Weaver, Diandria Barber, and Zoe Soltanmammedova
o PROGRAM EXCELLENCE THROUGH RESEARCH AWARD
§ 1st Place National Winner - Edda Cotto-Rivera & Team, Georgia: "A Systematic Evaluation guides the development of UGA SNAP-Ed Social Marketing programs." The findings, experiences, and lessons learned from the UGA SNAP-Ed FNV Campaign will inform the development of a new statewide Social Marketing campaign tailored to low-income Georgians. Team Members: Jung Sun Lee, Joanna Akin, Vibha Bhargava, Danielle Anthony, Laurel Sanville, Allisen Penn, Austin Childers, Marnie Dekle, Lisa Jodan, Jennine DeLane, Michelle Mcqueen, and Darci Bell
Nov 03, 2021
- Congratulations to Yuta Ishikawa who successfully defended his PhD dissertation on Tuesday, 11/2! The title of his talk was, "Diabetes Management in Heart Failure." A photo of Yuta and his committee was posted on the NUTR Facebook page. Fun fact: Yuta and his committee together represent citizenships from 5 different continents!
- The abstract presented at the SNEB 2021 meeting, P87 Imparting Anti-Diet and Weight Inclusive Approaches in a University Dietetics Curriculum by Emma Laing (co-authors: Slagel, N.; Clifford, D.; Hightower, W.; Harris, C.; Wang, Y.; Hall, D). published in the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior (Vol. 53 | No. 7), was among the most read articles in the journal. The Most Read articles are compiled quarterly from those opened through the www.jneb.org website.
Oct 12, 2021
- The College of FACS Celebrating Excellence Recognition Program was released on 10/12. The program celebrates the amazing achievements of our department’s students, faculty, and staff. Please take a moment to celebrate these accomplishments of your mentors and peers. In the digital program, you will see red YouTube icons that link to video messages recorded specifically for each award recipient honored in 2021 (Rob Pazdro, Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Advisor, and Emma Laing, Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Teacher of the Year, are among these). Numerous graduate and undergraduate students are honored, and esteemed professorships are listed (Jung Sun Lee, Georgia Athletic Association Professorship in Family and Consumer Sciences III, Lynn Bailey, Flatt Professorship in Foods and Nutrition, and Jamie Cooper, Flatt Professorship with a Focus on Childhood Obesity).
Oct 06, 2021
- Congratulations to Omeka Bhatia who received the FACS Undergraduate Research Opportunity grant!
Sep 28, 2021
- Congratulations to Sylvie Kangni who will be working with the global Nutrition Science team as a summer intern for the Coca-Cola Company!
- Congratulations to the winners of the Carolyn Berdanier Undergraduate Research Grants Program this year: Omeka Bhatia and Jessica Lam! Photos were added to the NUTR Facebook page on 9/28.
o Omeka’s project is titled, “Hippocampal Insulin Resistance,” and her faculty mentor is Emily Noble.
o Jessica's project is titled, "Defining the role of the gut microbiota in the development of the gut-brain axis,” and her faculty mentor is Claire de La Serre.
Sep 14, 2021
- Congratulations to Liana Guarneiri who was awarded the 2021 Janette Smith Memorial Scholarship by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. A photo of Liana was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 8/23.
Sep 08, 2021
- Congratulations to Jaclyn Barta who was awarded the 2021 Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship.
- Congratulations to Nutritional Sciences major Shreya Pandya who is the recipient of the FACS Alumni Association Scholarship. View this link to learn more about Shreya!
- Ali Berg was part of a team (U Arizona, U Tennessee, U Georgia) that has won an accelerator award from the Extension Foundation New Technologies for Ag Extension Projects: An Extension Implementation Toolkit for the Diabetes Prevention Program.
- Tracey Brigman and Allisen Penn also won an accelerator award from the same Extension Foundation program, New Technologies for Ag Extension Projects: The National Center for Home Food Preservation and Artificial Intelligence Enhanced Search.
Sep 01, 2021
- Congratulations to Jessica Strosahl who was awarded the 2021 Beatrice Donaldson David Graduate Scholarship in Foodservice Administration by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. A photo of Jessica was shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 8/23.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Jacee Baldivid who has been selected to serve as an intern for the SSAC. Along with 5 other interns, Jacee will be involved with prospective student recruitment, programming, student organizations, student engagement, internships/fellowships, social media, and future semester planning.
- Congratulations to Taylor Lowe who received the Women's Health Dietetics Practice Group Diversity Mini-Grant Student Partner Award!
Aug 24, 2021
- Congratulations to our Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation’s 2021 Scholarship winners, PhD students Darci Bell and Chisom Okoli! Darci has been selected to receive the Maxine F. and Arlene M. Wilson Scholarship and Chisom is the recipient of the Mary Swartz Rose Memorial Graduate Scholarship. Photos were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 8/23.
- Congratulations once again to Elizabeth Andress (2021 Outstanding FACS Professional) and alumna Ashleigh Childs (2021 New Achiever) who were recipients of awards presented during the 2021 Annual GAFCS Conference, held virtually on 3/5. Photos were shared on the NUTR Facebook page on 8/17.
Jul 28, 2021
- Our UGA online MS in foods and nutrition-community nutrition program has been named the best online master’s in nutrition program by The Best Schools. Our program is also recognized by Best Colleges as one of the country’s top online nutrition master’s programs. The press release was published in FACS News on 7/15 and was shared on the NUTR and FACS Facebook pages.
Jul 14, 2021
- Congratulations to the following faculty who received promotions this year, effective 7/1:
- Caree Cotwright, Associate Professor and Tenure
- Hea Jin Park, Associate Professor and Tenure
- Barbara Grossman, Clinical Professor
- Emma Laing, Clinical Professor
Jun 29, 2021
- Jamie Cooper has been named interim associate dean in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, effective 8/1. Read the full story on the FACS web page, as well as the FACS and NUTR Facebook pages.
- Sina Gallo has been nominated to the Journal Committee for the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB). This committee is responsible for reviewing policies and practices related to the society’s journal, the Journal of Nutrition Education & Behavior (JNEB), to meet the needs and values of the SNEB membership. The committee is also responsible for the JNEB Best Article and GEM awards, overseeing journal marketing, as well as Identifying topics for supplemental, themed issues, and position papers for the journal.
Jun 08, 2021
- Congratulations to Alex Anderson who will serve as our new departmental graduate coordinator effective 7/1! Dr. Anderson will also chair the graduate committee and will serve as the faculty advisor for our Graduate Student Organization. Dr. Anderson’s photo was posted on the NUTR Facebook page on 5/26.
May 25, 2021
- Congratulations to Carley Mullins for receiving the Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship for Fall 2021.
- Congratulations to the FDN Featured Graduates named by the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. The students' photos were shared on both the FACS and FDN Facebook pages on 5/13:
- Congratulations to PhD graduate Jiyoung "Sammi" Kim and her mentor, Claire de La Serre, who participated in the College's Doctoral Hooding Ceremony earlier this month. Photos were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 5/13.
- Congratulations once again to Julie Dean, graduate of our Double Dawgs program, for being selected to deliver the Student Perspective at this year's virtual FACS Convocation (also see Kudos 4/22). Her speech can be viewed here.
May 11, 2021
- We wish our Foods Lab Coordinator, Rosemarie Rooker, all the best upon her retirement from UGA after 20+ years! A photo of Rosemarie and Tracey Brigman was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 5/7.
- Congratulations to our doctoral students Chisom Okoli, Josephine Shieh, and Julie Jeon who just learned they have been selected to receive the Graduate Student Degree Accelerator Award. This award was created by President Jere Morehead to help graduate students overcome financial challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic to complete their degrees. Photos of Chisom, Jo, and Julie were added to the FDN Facebook page on 5/6.
- Congratulations to the FDN students who have been recommended to receive FACS Scholarships for 2021-2022:
- Elise Bray Richey Endowment: Laney Jones, Ashley-Kaye Fonkeng
- Gladys F. (Nannie) Nesbit/Flatt Education Fund: Sherifa Akinniyi, David Tran
- Glenn and Helen Burton Feeding the Hungry Scholarship: Josephine Shieh, Chisom Okoli
- Gwendolyn Brooks O'Connell Scholarship: Ansley Schwing
- Iris Price Dover Scholarship: Lydia Akins
- Julia Ann Simpson Elliott Scholarship: Kelliann Howell, Abigail Hightower, Davia Allen
- Lenora Anderson Scholarship: Toloupe Akinrolabu
- Marian Wang Nutrition Scholarship Fund: Hsuan-mein Yang
- Marion Louise Price Elkin Scholarship: Ikponmwosa Enabulele
- Melynda Flatt Reid Dietetics Scholarship: Devin Logan, Jesse Perry, Sam Bonnett, Jinaka Coker, Jayla Thurman
- Nancy Virginia Price Turner Scholarship: Brigid Waldron
- Pam McIntyre Thompson, R.D. Scholarship: Julia Lance
- Richard D. Lewis Research Fund: Sara Perrine
- Sharon Boone Hamner Foods and Nutrition Scholarship: Jessica Strosahl
- Thomas F. Comer Scholarship: Lauren Rogers
- FACS Alumni Scholarship: Sherya Pandya
May 04, 2021
- FDN faculty who will be returning for the second year of their term on the Faculty Advisory Committee (2020-2022) include: Chad Paton, Jung Sun Lee, and Ginnefer Cox.
- Congratulations to the newly-elected SDA officers for 2021-2022:
- President: Emmaline Peterson
- Vice President: Emily Crum
- Secretary: Amelia Valdez
- Public Relations Chair: Callie Davis
- Treasurer: Laney Jones
- Community Service Chair: Jamie DiBartolomeo
- Communications Chair: Caroline Camp
- Social Chair: Emily Neuhaus
Apr 22, 2021
- College Awards were highlighted during the UGA Honors Week virtual recognition on 4/21, and included:
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Teacher of the Year – Emma Laing
- All other College Awards named spring 2021 will be recognized at the Celebrating Excellence program in October, TBD, and will include:
- Outstanding UG Faculty Advisor – Rob Pazdro
- While FACS will not hold an in-person Convocation, Double Dawg student Julie Dean will be recognized and will contribute to the virtual program as she delivers the "Student Perspective." Please congratulate Julie for being selected for this honor, and watch the FACS commencement virtual program and videos, which will be released in May.
Apr 13, 2021
- Congratulations to Nutritional Sciences student Madelyn Hansen who has been selected as the recipient of the Outstanding Honors Student in Family and Consumer Sciences Award! This award recognizes her outstanding academic record, as well as the dedication, skill, and commitment to excellence she has exemplified throughout her participation in experiential opportunities, student and community organizations, and collaborative learning environments. A photo of Madelyn was added to the FDN Facebook page on 4/12.
Apr 06, 2021
- Congratulations to Jo Shieh who is a recipient of the Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (OTA) for 2021 sponsored by the Office of the Vice President of Instruction through UGA's Center for Teaching and Learning. This award recognizes teaching assistants who demonstrate superior teaching skills while serving in the classroom or laboratory.
- Congratulations to Caree Cotwright for being elected to the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Board of Directors as SNEB Director-At-Large. Dr. Cotwright’s photo was added to the FDN Facebook page on 4/1.
- Dr. Cotwright also recently learned that she has been accepted as an Implementation Science Scholar, a mentored training program for investigators interested in applying dissemination and implementation methods and strategies to reduce the burden of chronic disease and address health inequities. As an Implementation Science Scholar, Dr. Cotwright will have a unique opportunity to network and collaborate with established professionals at a large number of aspirational institutions. Congratulations!
Mar 30, 2021
- Congratulations to UGA Extension who has received Full Recognition status from the CDC for the National Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP). This is an effort that Ali Berg leads and 13 FACS Extension Agents are involved in. The program has been delivered to over 100 participants, including a switch to virtual delivery during the pandemic. This recognition status elevates UGA Extension’s reputation in the community, but also opens doors to public and private insurance reimbursement for program delivery with the target audience. Program delivery has been supported as well by the President’s Interdisciplinary Seed Grant and Hannah Wilson’s doctoral dissertation is embedded in the project. Stay tuned for a press release!
- Congratulations to Alex Anderson who was elected to the International Society for Research in Human Milk and Lactation (ISRHML) Executive Committee as a Councillor. Dr. Anderson will be assuming his 3-year term starting 4/1.
- Congratulations to Julie Dean who successfully defended her master's thesis on 3/19. The title of her presentation was, "Factors Contributing to Dietary Acculturation Among International Students." Julie’s photo was added to the FDN Facebook page on 3/29.
- Congratulations to Rebecca Gould who successfully defended her dissertation on 3/24. The title of her presentation was, "Systems Genetics of Glutathione Metabolism and Its Effects on Health." Becca has accepted a Postdoctoral Associate position at Duke University School of Medicine – Division of Medical Genetics. The University of Florida posted an alumni blog about her postdoc opportunity at Duke, which includes more information. Becca’s photo was added to the FDN Facebook page on 3/30.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Shekiah Shannon who was selected by the UGA Career Center as one of the top 75 student employees on campus. Kiah was praised for her leadership skills, design skills, diligence, and dependability in her work with the UGA Dining Nutrition Team. The Career Center will reveal the top three individuals the week of 4/12, so stay tuned!
Mar 16, 2021
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Andress who received the Outstanding Family and Consumer Sciences Professional Award from the GA Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (GAFCS) at their annual meeting on 3/5.
- Congratulations to the Student Dietetic Association for receiving a nomination for the 2021 Student Organization Achievement and Recognition (SOAR) Outstanding Campus Event Award. The group was nominated for their success in planning and hosting the Dietetic Internship Forum/Open House event held virtually on 11/11/20.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Bailey Davis for being selected by the UGA Career Center as one of the top 75 student employees on-campus. Despite this difficult year, Bailey was praised in her award letter for emerging "as a servant leader" in UGA Performance Nutrition. The Career Center will reveal the top three individuals the week of 4/12, so stay tuned!
- The following faculty were recently notified they are the recipients of the College’s faculty and staff awards for 2021. Their formal recognition will occur during the FACS Celebration of Excellence recognition program in October (date/time TBD):
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Teacher of the Year – Emma Laing
- Outstanding Undergraduate Faculty Advisor – Rob Pazdro
Mar 10, 2021
- Congratulations to Tracey Brigman who has been selected as a juror for the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences and will review applications for the Jewell Taylor Undergraduate Scholarship.
- Dr. Brigman was also installed on 3/5 at the Georgia Association of Family and Consumer Sciences Annual Conference as the Co-Vice President of Communications for the GAFCS.
- Congratulations to the FDN members who received 2021 awards from the Georgia Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics: Special Recognition Award (Barbara Grossman), Outstanding Dietetics Student (Kinsey Hargis), and Outstanding Dietitian of the Year (Emma Laing). Their photos were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 3/9.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Julia Lance who was accepted into The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Student Cohort Program. The ASBMR introduced a new program intended to provide training and networking opportunities to undergraduate, graduate, and medical students in the field of bone and mineral sciences. Julia was accepted into the inaugural cohort of trainees. In addition to participating in training/networking opportunities, she receives free membership to the ASBMR. A photo of Julia was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 3/8.
Mar 02, 2021
- Congratulations to MS student Julie Dean for winning 2nd place at the Georgia Nutrition Council Student Research Competition on 2/26. Her photo was shared on the FDN Facebook page.
- Congratulations to dietetics major Rebecca Reese who received a scholarship to attend the 3rd Annual Spring Weight Inclusive Nutrition and Dietetics Symposium on 3/3-6. Becca received the Diversity Dietetics Student/Intern scholarship offered exclusively to BIPOC students and interns in the Diversity Dietetics community.
- Congratulations to Tracey Brigman and PhD student Hannah Wilson who have been elected to the Executive Board of the Georgia Nutrition Council:
- Member-at-Large, Scholarship Chair: Tracey Brigman
- Nominating Committee: Hannah Wilson
Feb 23, 2021
- The Obesity Society celebrated the 6th annual International Day of Women and Girls in Science on 2/11, and Emily Noble was selected along with 8 other women for recognition by TOS for "making outstanding accomplishments to help with the research, prevention, and treatment of obesity." Dr. Noble’s photo was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 2/15. Congratulations!
- Jo Shieh received a teaching assistantship from the Graduate School to teach GRSC 7770 (Foods & Nutrition Teaching Assistant Seminar) as a co-instructor with Barbara Grossman. GRSC 7770 is a 1-3 credit course providing TAs with knowledge of pedagogical approaches, relevant UGA policies, and available support systems. Check out Jo's feature on UGA's Graduate School website! Her photo was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 2/16.
- Congratulations to Hea Jin Park for being selected to the Editorial Board for Nutrition Research in January 2021.
Feb 11, 2021
- Congratulations to FDN graduate students Mariah McDaniel and Julie Dean who have been named 2021 scholarship winners from the Georgia Nutrition Council. Mariah is receiving the Rita Waters Scholarship and Julie will receive the Holly B. Alley Scholarship at the virtual GNC Annual Conference held from 2/25-26. Photos of Mariah and Julie were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 2/10.
- As part of the most recent UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students identified UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Congratulations to Laurel Sanville and Katherine Ingerson who were each identified by members of the Class of 2020 as "a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
Feb 02, 2021
- As part of the most recent UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students identified UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Congratulations to Alex Anderson, Claire de La Serre, Rob Pazdro, Emma Laing, Ginnefer Cox, Caree Cotright, and Art Grider who were each identified by members of the Class of 2020 as "a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
- Congratulations to Taylor Newman who was recently hired as the Nutrition Program Development Manager for Kroger Health in Cincinnati, Ohio where she will be developing nutrition-related interventions, content, and research initiatives.
- Congratulations to Jiyoung "Sammi" Kim who received a postdoctoral fellow position at Emory University School of Medicine working under Dr. Andrew Neish in the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine.
- Emma Laing was named a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She was featured in a FACS News article published on 2/1, and this was also shared on the FACS and FDN Facebook pages.
Jan 19, 2021
Congratulations to Hannah Wilson who has accepted a faculty position at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota. The position is an assistant professor position in their Nutrition, Dietetics, & Exercise Science Department, as well as the coordinator of their MS/DI program.
Dec 15, 2020
- Congratulations to William "Bill" Flatt who will be honored as a 2021 President’s Medal recipient. The President’s Medal recognizes extraordinary contributions by those who have supported outstanding students, championed meaningful academic programs, advanced significant research, or inspired community leaders to enhance the quality of life for Georgians through their support of the University of Georgia. Dr. Flatt will be honored at the President’s Medal award presentation, which will be held virtually on 1/25/21 in conjunction with UGA’s annual Founders Day celebration.
- Congratulations to Jake Conner, double major in dietetics and culinary science and nutrition, who has been selected as Outstanding Senior for Fall 2020. A photo of Jake was shared on the FACS and FDN Facebook pages on 12/11.
Dec 10, 2020
- Congratulations to dietetics major Julia Lance who received a Spring 2021 CURO Research Assistantship. Joseph Kindler is mentoring this project, which will focus on body size and bone density relationships in youth. Julia will present at the (virtual) CURO Symposium in the spring.
Nov 17, 2020
- Congratulations to nutritional sciences major Samantha Drop who has been named the Southeastern Conference Cross Country Women's Scholar-Athlete of the Year! She is the first Bulldog woman to win this honor in cross country. An article featuring Sam was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 11/11.
- Congratulations to Xi Fang who successfully defended her doctoral dissertation via Zoom on 11/12. The title of her presentation was, "Impact of bioactive compounds on neurocognitive development and metabolism." Xi will start her post-doctoral position at Yale University School of Medicine in January. A photo of Xi was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 11/13.
Nov 10, 2020
- Congratulations to Sina Gallo who is currently highlighted on the FACS website as a "featured person." View her faculty spotlight at this link.
Nov 03, 2020
- Taylor Newman presented our FDN Seminar on 10/21 and defended her dissertation via Zoom, titled, "Understanding the produce prescription program in the U.S.: A focus on program models, facilitators and barriers, and participant experiences."
Oct 20, 2020
- Art Grider has been invited to serve as a guest editor for Medical Sciences, "Zinc: Its Molecular and Biochemical Importance, and its Relevance in Medicine." Congratulations!
- Congratulations to the FACS Class of 2020! A video of Dean Fox speaking at the commencement ceremony as well as the FACS graduation program were posted on the FACS Facebook page on 10/16.
Oct 13, 2020
- Congratulations to the many FDN faculty and students who are recognized in the sixth annual Celebrating Excellence Recognition Program presented in a virtual format this year. View the news story here and the program linked here. Below are the awardees from our department.
- Hea Jin Park, Ali Berg, and Lilian Sattler were also honored in a FDN Facebook post on 3/7 (see Kudos 3/10):
- Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research Award: Hea Jin Park
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Extension and Outreach Faculty Award: Ali Berg
- Early Career Faculty Research Award: Lilian Sattler
- UGA Athletic Association Professorship in Family and Consumer Sciences: Jung Sun Lee
- Flatt Professorship in Foods and Nutrition: Lynn Bailey
- Flatt Professorship with a focus on Childhood Obesity: Jamie Cooper
- Jake Conner and Jacee Baldivid were also honored in a FDN Facebook post on 9/10 (see Kudos 9/15):
- FACS Alumni Association Scholarship: Jake Conner
- FACS Alumni Association – FCCLA: Jacee Baldivid
- Carolyn D. Berdanier Nutrition Science Support: Maggie K. Whitehead
- Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award: Robyn Salzberg
- Evelyn R. Harris Academic Support: Xi Fang, Yuta Ishikawa, Julie Jeon
- Endsley-Peifer Student Research Award: Xi Fang
- Josephine Martin Emerging Leader in Policy Award: Taylor Newman
- Inez Wallace Tumlin Graduate Student Academic Support: Catherine Prater, Liana Guarneiri
- Zena Costa Brown Scholarship: Shreya Pandya
- Glenn and Helen Burton Feeding the Hungry Scholarship: Darci Bell
- Thomas F. Comer Scholarship: Catherine Ruter
- Iris Price Dover Scholarship: Aashka Sheth
- Julia Ann Simpson Elliott Scholarship: Madison Justice
- Fairchild-Holcomb Family FACS Scholarship: Lydia Akin
- Hazel and Gene Franklin Scholarship: Caroline Cerminaro, Liana Guarneiri
- Sharon Boone Hamner Foods and Nutrition Scholarship: Hannah Wilson
- Doe H. Harden Scholarship: Abigail Hightower
- Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship: Tehgan Anguilm, Magen Lord, Kassidy Sharpe, Jessica Strosahl, Nick Slagel, Shannon Stowers, Hannah Wilson
- Rosabelle Carr Koelsche Fund: Samantha Hill
- Ruth Rowan Morrison Graduate Fellowship in Nutrition Studies: Yu-Ra Son
- Gwendolyn Brooks O’Connell Scholarship: Allison Rautmann
- Melynda Flatt Reid Dietetics Scholarship: Abigail Bailey, Flannery Daughtry, Bailey Echols, Mallory Johns, Megan Smith
- Elise Bray Richey Scholarship: Rebecca Gould
- Pam McIntyre Thompson, R. D. Scholarship: Whitley Carter, Isabella Morin
- Marian Wang Nutrition Scholarship: Samantha Bonnett, Corrie Fletcher, Devin Logan
- Karin Elizabeth Willis Scholarship: Freida Lim
- Lavender Family Legacy Scholarship: Sarah Perrine
- FACS Fund for Excellence: Darci Bell, Elizabeth (Betsy) Cogan, Xi Fang, Rebecca Gould, Yuta Ishikawa, Julie Jeon, Jiyoung Kim, Elizabeth Klingbeil
- Leila Alberta Ritchie Mize Endowment: Darci Bell, Elizabeth Cogan, Xi Fang, Rebecca Gould, Yuta Ishikawa, Julie Jeon, Jiyoung Kim, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Allie Lindke, Taylor Newman, Liana Guarneiri, Josephine Shieh, Nick Slagel, Yu-Ra Son, Hannah Wilson
Oct 06, 2020
- PhD students Becca Gould and Hannah Wilson have each received the 2020-2021 Irene J. Jones Memorial Scholarship from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. Photos of Becca and Hannah were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 10/6. Congratulations!
Sep 29, 2020
- We are proud to announce that all six summer Dietetic Internship graduates have recently passed the RD exam! They are: Carolina Cawthon, Ani Powell, Beth Wood, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Hayley Sanders, Olivia Taylor, and Taylor Ragan. For most interns, almost all of their supervised practice was completed virtually this summer, so this pass rate is a notable accomplishment on this difficult exam.
Sep 22, 2020
- Congratulations to the SNAP-Ed Team on receiving the 2020 Program Excellence Through Research Award - First Place from the Georgia Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences; and the First Place Southern Region and National Award from the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS). The team received their NEAFCS award at the annual conference, which took place in a virtual format 9/14-16. The title of the proposal and award was: "Systematic Evaluation Guides the Development of UGA SNAP-Ed Social Marketing Programs." The SNAP-Ed Team also shared their work during a concurrent session with the same title, with 43 colleagues from across the nation. Congratulations!
Sep 15, 2020
- Congratulations to Exercise and Sport Science Major and Nutrition Science Minor Maggie Whitehead for receiving the Carolyn Berdanier Undergraduate Research Grants Program Award! The title of Maggie's project is, "Effect of a High Fat/High Sugar Western Diet on Brain Glycogen," and her research mentor is Emily Noble.
- Congratulations to Dietetics and Culinary Science and Nutrition double major Jake Conner and Dietetics major Jacee Baldivid! They are two of only three 2020-21 FACS Alumni Scholarship recipients. Read more about them here. This news was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/10.
Sep 08, 2020
- Congratulations to the FDN students who have been named as FACS Ambassadors for the 2020-2021 year: Opeyemi Adelugba, Jake Conner, Bailey Davis, Samantha Hill, Miller Lantis, Freida Lim, and Madison Sutton.
Sep 01, 2020
- Congratulations to Silvia Giraudo who received Second Place for the "Innovation in Programming Award" given by the Georgia Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. The award was presented to Dr. Giraudo on 8/18.
Aug 25, 2020
- Congratulations to Caroline Henning who was selected as a student trustee for the GDF board! A photo of Caroline attending her first board meeting via Zoom was shared to the FDN Facebook page on 8/25.
Aug 18, 2020
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley who accepted an Instructional Assistant Professor position at Texas A&M University! Dr. Coheley will be teaching remotely this fall and moving to College Station, TX in the spring.
Aug 11, 2020
- We received the news on 8/7 from the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics that both the graduate-level dietetic internship, led by Barbara Grossman, and the undergraduate dietetics program, led by Emma Laing, have received approval to continue full accreditation through 2028. This news was shared in an FDN Facebook post on 8/7. There will be an official press release prepared by FACS in the coming days.
- The USDA Food and Nutrition Service Division just approved the UGA SNAP-Ed proposal to offer Food eTalk eLearning resources to non-GA SNAP-Ed programs. This is an exciting opportunity that will allow the SNAP-Ed team to share the nation’s first exclusively online, asynchronous programs with SNAP-Ed eligible Americans in social distancing times.
Aug 04, 2020
Jul 14, 2020
- Congratulations to dietetics major Julia Lance who received an Award of Excellence scholarship from the Federal Employee Education & Assistance Fund (FEEA)! Julia was selected from ~2400 applicants for this award, which is funded by FEEA as well as BlueCross BlueShield. Photos of Julia were posted on the FDN Facebook page on 7/14.
- Congratulations to Becca Gould for receiving a 2020 Georgia Dietetic Foundation Scholarship! A photo of Becca was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 7/7.
- Congratulations to Taylor Ragan for successfully defending her master's thesis on 7/8 via Zoom! The title of her presentation was, "TRANSLATION OF A FACE-TO-FACE NUTRITION TRAINING TO AN ONLINE TRAINING FOR EARLY CARE AND EDUCATION PROVIDERS: A COMPARISON OF OUTCOMES." A photo of Taylor was posted on the FDN Facebook page on 7/11.
Jul 07, 2020
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Klingbeil who accepted a nutrition faculty position at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island! Her contract begins August 15th.
- Congratulations to Ariathni Powell, for successfully defending her master's thesis on 6/30 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "Hablemos de Comida ¡Por SU Salud!: Formative evaluation of Spanish SNAP-Ed Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Curriculum." A photo of Ani was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/30.
Jun 30, 2020
- Congratulations to Olivia Taylor for successfully defending her master's thesis on 6/25 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "A survey of Cooperative Extension youth hands-on cooking programs in Georgia and related affecting factors."
- Congratulations to Jo Shieh who has been recommended to receive the Leilia Alberta Ritchie Mize Scholarship by the College of FACS for the 2020 summer session. Jo is one of approximately 50 graduate students in the College selected to receive this one-time scholarship. As a recipient of a College scholarship, Jo will be invited to the Celebrating Excellence Luncheon, which will be held in October, Date TBD. Jo’s photo was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/30.
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley who recently became a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND). The FAND designation recognizes Dr. Coheley’s commitment to the field of nutrition and dietetics, and celebrates her professional accomplishments and pursuit of life-long learning.
Jun 23, 2020
- Congratulations to Taylor Newman who was selected for this year's American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences' (AAFCS) Jewell L. Taylor Graduate Fellowship. The AAFCS awards graduate fellowships to individuals who have exhibited the potential to make contributions to the family and consumer sciences profession. The Taylor Fellowship was established through a generous bequest from Jewell L. Taylor, a dedicated family and consumer sciences professional for more than 50 years. A photo of Taylor was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/22.
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler who was elected to 2-year terms on the following AHA Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Committees: Leadership Committee (Member at Large), Nominations Committee, and Health Nutrition Committee (renewal). Dr. Sattler was also invited to serve as a as reviewer for Circulation (impact factor 23.054) and to review a scientific position statement by the American Heart Association, which is pending publication in the coming year.
Jun 16, 2020
- Congratulations to new FDN faculty member Sina Gallo and her team, who are recipients of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics Foundation’s 2020 Anita Owen Award of Recognition for Innovative Nutrition Education for their pediatric weight management program for Latino families entitled, "Vidas Activas y Familias Saludables."
Jun 09, 2020
- Congratulations to Nick Slagel for successfully defending his doctoral dissertation on 6/3 via Zoom. The title of his presentation was, "The Effects of a Fruit and Vegetable Prescription (FVRx) Program for Low-income Adults."
May 20, 2020
- Congratulations to Hayley Sanders for successfully defending her master's thesis on 5/14 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "The development of a text message-based intervention to improve nutrition practices in the home among parents of young children." A photo of Hayley was shared on the FDN Facebook page.
- Congratulations to Xi Fang for being selected as an Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Finalist, which recognizes the very best research presented by students and young investigators during the American Society for Nutrition NUTRITION 2020 meeting. The title of Xi's abstract is, "Effect of Maternal Supplementation of Lutein on Brain Functional Organization of Offspring in a Piglet Model." Her abstract will be marked with a special award icon on the schedule planner and mobile app during the meeting to highlight her accomplishment as an Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Finalist. For those of you attending NUTRITION 2020 LIVE ONLINE, please be sure to view her presentation. Xi's abstract was also invited for a flash talk during the Carotenoids and Retinoids Interest Group (CARIG) RIS Forum. A photo of Xi was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 5/15.
- Congratulations to Nutritional Sciences major Robyn Salzberg for receiving the 2020 Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award. This award recognizes outstanding research conducted by undergraduate students currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in the College of FACS.
May 13, 2020
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Klingbeil who successfully defended her dissertation on 5/7 via Zoom! The title of her presentation was, "Manipulation of the gut microbiota attenuates the negative effects of high-fat diet." A photo of Elizabeth was posted on the FDN Facebook page.
May 06, 2020
- Dean Fox announced the newest members of the Faculty Advisory Committee for 2020-2021, and these include FDN faculty Chad Paton, Ginnefer Cox, and Jung Sun Lee. Congratulations!
- Featured Graduates from FDN were announced and include Karina Patel, Alexa Taylor, Olivia Taylor, Resean Wallace, Christine Graaf, Lauren Coheley, Julie Dean, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Carin Booth, Morgan Rossi, Carolina Cawthon, Lydia Averette, Sylvia Chen, Caroline Henning, and Nick Slagel. These student profiles were also shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/30.
- Congratulations to the new and returning FACS Ambassadors from FDN:
- Yemi Adelugba, Nutritional Sciences
- Jake Conner, Dietetics
- Bailey Davis, Dietetics
- Sam Hill, Culinary Science and Nutrition
- Miller Lantis, Nutritional Sciences
- Freida Lim, Culinary Science and Nutrition & Dietetics
- Aashka Sheth, Nutritional Sciences
- Madison Sutton, Dietetics
- We are excited to welcome the following faculty and staff to our department:
- Kandice Mitchell, Business Manager II, start date: 5/1
- Sina Gallo, Associate Professor, start date: 8/1
- Joseph Kindler, Assistant Professor, start date: 8/1
Apr 28, 2020
- Congratulations once again to nutritional sciences major Resean Wallace, one of just 41 UGA students to earn the Presidential Award of Excellence. This distinction is awarded to undergraduate students in their final year of study who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, strong extracurricular involvement and/or service to and involvement in their respective school or college. Students selected for this award exemplify the best of UGA’s undergraduate student body. Resean's photo was shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/23 (also see Kudos 3/31).
Apr 21, 2020
- Congratulations to Jamie Cooper for receiving the 2020 CURO Research Mentoring Award! Dr. Cooper received this award for her commitment to developing undergraduate researchers at UGA through transformational learning experiences. A photo was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 4/17.
- Nutritional Sciences major Wilkray Biboum was honored in the UGA student profile, "Bloom where you’re planted: Student finds place at UGA," published on 4/16. This profile was also shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/17.
Apr 07, 2020
Congratulations to the newest members of the student dietetic association (SDA) board for 2020-2021. Their names were announced in a post on the SDA and FDN Facebook pages on 4/3:
- President: Kinsey Hargis
- Vice President: Catherine Ruter
- Secretary: Emmaline Peterson
- Treasurer: Laney Jones
- PR Chair: Kiah Shannon
- Community Service: Emily Crum
- Communications Chair: Libby Siegel
- Social Chair: Mayra Patino
Mar 31, 2020
- Xi Fang received the Endsley-Peifer Student Research Paper Award for her published paper in the physical/biological sciences. The title of her paper is, "Effect of Acute Ingestion of Green Tea Extract and Lemon Juice on Oxidative Stress and Lipid Profile in Pigs Fed a High-Fat Diet," published in Antioxidants. Hea Jin Park is Xi’s faculty mentor.
- Nutritional Sciences major Resean Wallace was selected as a recipient of the UGA Presidential Award of Excellence. Individuals receiving this award represent the top 1% of undergraduates at UGA who excel not only in academics, but also in their service the community and in their leadership both on and off campus.
- Photos of Xi and Resean were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 3/31.
Mar 10, 2020
Congratulations to the FDN faculty who have been selected to receive 2020 awards of excellence from the College of Family and Consumer sciences! This news was also shared in an FDN Facebook post on 3/7:
- Ali Berg is the recipient of the Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award
- Hea Jin Park is the recipient of the Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research Award
- Lilian Sattler is the recipient of the Early Career Faculty Research Award
Mar 03, 2020
- Lauren Coheley was recently announced as the next president-elect of GAND (the Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics). Congratulations!
- Congratulations once again to Liana Rodrigues for winning the 2020 Holly B. Alley Scholarship from the Georgia Nutrition Council. Photos of Liana receiving her award in Statesboro can be viewed in an FDN Facebook post on 2/28.
Feb 18, 2020
- Congratulations to Hea Jin Park for receiving a courtesy faculty appointment and graduate faculty status at the Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences (ADS). Dr. Park’s research pigs are housed in ADS, and her courtesy appointment will help further collaborations with their faculty and students.
- Congratulations to Liana Rodriques who is the winner of the 2020 Georgia Nutrition Council (GNC) Holly B. Alley Scholarship! Liana will receive her award at the GNC Annual Conference held from 2/27-28 in Statesboro.
- The Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (GAND) Awards for 2020 have been announced, and the following were awarded to faculty, students, and alumni of the department. Recipients will receive their awards at the GAND Annual Conference held from 3/25-26 in Decatur. Photos of the GNC and GAND award winners were also posted on the FDN Facebook page on 2/14.
- Emerging Dietetic Leader: Britt Rotberg
- Outstanding DPD Student Award: Caroline Henning
- Outstanding DI Student Award: Ani Powell
- Young Diet Technician of the Year: Mariah McDaniel
- Distinguished Service to the Media: Emma Laing
- Distinguished Service by a Researcher: Caree Cotwright
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year for the NE District: Jennifer (Fleming) Price
- UGA SNAP-Ed had another big shout out to their eLearning program from the USDA FNS Administrator, Pam Miller, at the 2020 Association of SNAP Nutrition Education Administrators (ASNNA) Conference in Arlington, VA, held 2/3-2/6. During her USDA FNS update to the ASNNA Conference attendees, including ~250 federal, state, and local SNAP-Ed implementing agency representatives, she commended the UGA SNAP-Ed eLearning program as an example of innovative evidence-based programming. Also, several states including TX, MS, and WI, are creating online SNAP-Ed programs based on the UGA SNAP-Ed experiences and recommendations shared through several peer-reviewed journal articles.
Feb 08, 2020
- The article published about Jamie Cooper’s research, "Daily self-weighing can prevent holiday weight gain," was named as one of the top @UGAResearch stories of 2019. Congratulations!
- The article published about Emily Noble’s research, "Researchers discover brain circuit linked to food impulsivity," was named the top story by UGA's Division of Marketing & Communications in December 2019. Congratulations!
Jan 28, 2020
- Congratulations to Rick Lewis who was recently appointed as an emeritus faculty member. This title, which recognizes Dr. Lewis’ "honorable and distinguished service" at UGA, was effective 1/1/20.
Jan 21, 2020
- Congratulations once again to Jamie Cooper for being selected as one of the 2019-2020 Women’s Leadership Fellows (also see Kudos 12/5/19). Jamie was featured in a UGA Today article published on 1/16.
- Congratulations once again to Elizabeth Andress for her selection as the 2019 Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) Region II Postsecondary Teacher of the Year award (also see Kudos 10/15/19). Elizabeth was featured on page 6 of the 1/13 print issue of Columns.
- Emma Laing is the recipient of the 2020 FACS Alumni Association Creswell Award. To learn more about the recipients of the FACS Alumni Awards, visit the FACS News article published on 1/16. Recipients will be recognized at the awards ceremony held on 3/21 at the Classic Center.
Dec 17, 2019
- Congratulations to all of our graduates who participated in the winter 2019 commencement festivities! Photos of the FACS Convocation ceremony, which was held on 12/13, were shared on the FACS Facebook page.
Dec 10, 2019
- Brittany Bogusz and Sarah Beth Massengale were named as FACS Featured Graduates for December 2019! View their profiles posted on the FACS Facebook page on 12/9.
Dec 05, 2019
- Congratulations to Jamie Cooper on being selected to participate in the Women’s Leadership Fellows Program for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Congratulations to Silvia Giraudo who was inducted into the UGA Teaching Academy on 11/25.
- The following faculty/staff have been nominated by at least one graduate in UGA’s Class of 2019 as a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success: Donna Holcomb, Emma Laing, Ginnefer Cox, Claire de La Serre, Alex Anderson, and Robert Pazdro. As part of the UGA Career Center Career Outcomes Survey, students and recent alumni were asked to identify UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process (also see Kudos 11/21).
- At the College Convocation ceremony, which will be held on 12/13, Sarah Beth Massengale will be recognized as Outstanding Senior and Brittany Bogusz and Audrey Green will serve as Student Marshals for FDN. Congratulations!
Nov 21, 2019
- Madison Read, one of UGA's Amazing Students, mentioned Alex Anderson and the Ghana service-learning program in her bio, which was published on 11/3.
- As part of the UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students were asked to identify UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Alex Anderson and Emma Laing received notification from the UGA Career Center that at least one graduate in the Class of 2019 has identified each of them "as a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
- On 10/23, the UGA College of Family and Consumer Sciences honored our outstanding faculty at the Celebrating Excellence Luncheon (also see Kudos 10/29). Congratulations once again to Art Grider, Rob Pazdro, Silvia Giraudo, Ginnefer Cox, Elizabeth Andress, and Ali Berg who were among those recognized this year. Photos of these faculty were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 11/5. Many FDN faculty and students are also shown in a FACS Facebook album posted on 11/6 that includes photos taken by Wingate Downs.
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley on the successful defense of her doctoral dissertation on 10/30. Lauren's presentation was titled, "The Link Between Dietary Protein, Egg Intake, and Inflammation on Pediatric Bone Development." Photos of Lauren were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 10/31.
Oct 29, 2019
- Congratulations to Emily Noble who received the Rolls-Simons Travel Award from The Obesity Society. This award is part of The Obesity Society’s commitment to young investigators in the field of obesity research. The award was established by TOS Past President Barbara Rolls after losing her mother, Pat Simons, to obesity-related disease. Dr. Noble will giving a talk at The Obesity Society meeting held 11/3-7 in Las Vegas, NV, entitled "Elevated Gut Parabacteroides Due to Early Life Sugar Consumption Impairs Memory Function in Rats."
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler for her role in facilitating the AHA Lifestyle Council in being selected as one of four top Councils (out of 16) to be recognized for excellence within the AHA. Part of the selection criteria included Council Membership and Early Career Collaboration, and the Early Career committee, on which Lilian Sattler serves as Chair, has contributed to success in both of these categories by increasing membership by 20% over the last year and offering innovative collaborative programming that became a major success of this year's AHA EPI/Lifestyle Scientific Sessions.
- On 10/23, FACS recognized donors, students, faculty, and staff at the annual Celebrating Excellence event at the Georgia Center. Congratulations to all the student scholarship recipients as well as our faculty and staff honorees. Photos were shared on the FACS Facebook page, and below is the impressive list of award winners from FDN:
- Carolyn D. Berdanier Nutrition Science Support
- Shreya Pandya, Elizabeth C. Hamrick
- Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award
- Madelyn Hansen, Jillien Zukaitis
- Eleonora M. Costa Graduate Support
- Xi Fang, Julie Jeon, Yura Son
- Endsley-Peifer Student Research Award
- Bill and June Flatt Student Achievement Fund
- Zena Costa Brown Scholarship
- Glenn and Helen Burton Feeding the Hungry Scholarship
- Thomas F. Comer Scholarship
- Pearce L. and Mary Wells Elkins Scholarship
- FACS Alumni Association Scholarship
- FACS Alumni Association - 4-H
- The Nancy Hailey and Sis Strickland Hailey Scholarship
- Abby Bailey, Yuta Ishikawa
- Sharon Boone Hamner Foods and Nutrition Scholarship
- Katz Family Award
- Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship
- Chisom Okoli, Elizabeth Cogan, Olivia Delgado, Mary Catherine Prater, Mai Spaulding
- George Griffeth and Leolene Chapman Montgomery Scholarship
- Emma Epps, Elizabeth Wood
- Ruth Rowan Morrison Graduate Fellowship in Nutrition Studies
- Gladys F. (Nannie) Nesbitt/Flatt Education Fund in FACS
- Sydney Cox, Julie Dean, Corrie Fletcher
- Gwendolyn Brooks O’Connell Scholarship
- Melynda Flatt Reid Dietetics Scholarship
- Jessica Beasley, Jake Conner, Caroline Henning, Devin Logan, Shekiah Shannon, Ana Ulloa
- Elise Bray Richey Scholarship
- Pam McIntyre Thompson, R.D. Scholarship
- Nancy Virginia Price Turner Scholarship
- Marian Wang Nutrition Scholarship
- Madison Spek, Hannah Wilson
- Karin Elizabeth Willis Scholarship
- Glenn Burton International Study Award
- Madelyn Hansen, Julie Dean
- Marihope Troutman Flatt International Study Scholarship
- Charity Conner, Kathren Royston, Grace Saboe, Shannon Myszkowski, Caroline Wieler
- Anne Montgomery Haltiwanger International Study Abroad Award
- Ani Chinonso, Jodie Ehorn
- Betty Sewell Ragland International Study Award
- Annalisa Botchway, Laura Triana
- Sally Schley Stith Scholarship International Study Award
- Dr. Chris Todd Outstanding Outreach Award
- Elizabeth Andress, Alison Berg, Ginnefer Cox
- Super-Includer Diversity Award
- Early Career Faculty Research Award
- Sweaney Innovation Fund
- Susan Hale Brooks Professional Development
- Georgia Athletic Association Professorship in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Flatt Professorship in Foods and Nutrition
- UGA Foundation Professorship in Family and Consumers Sciences
Oct 22, 2019
- Congratulations to FACS Ambassador and nutritional sciences major Wilkray Biboum, who was crowned as Homecoming King on 10/19! Wilkray's photo with President Morehead was shared on the FACSand FDN Facebook pages.
- Congratulations to nutritional sciences major Sage Royston who received one of the FACS Alumni Association scholarships for the 2019-20 school year.
Oct 15, 2019
- Elizabeth Andress has been named the 2019 Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) Region II Postsecondary Teacher of the Year! The press release honoring Dr. Andress was shared on 10/9 to the FACS website (it is currently on the home page) and on the FDN Facebook page.
- Congratulations to the 2019 UGA Homecoming court— and especially to nutritional sciences major Will Biboum! The king and queen will be announced during halftime at the UGA vs. Kentucky game on 10/19. Find out more about this year’s Homecoming activities here, including the FACS Homecoming Tailgate.
Oct 01, 2019
- Congratulations to Alex Marquardt who successfully defended her MS thesis on Tuesday, 9/24! Alex's advisory committee included Jamie Cooper, Lynn Bailey, and Chad Paton. Photos were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/30.
Sep 24, 2019
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler for being elected Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA) conferred by the Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health (LIFESTYLE). This is the highest recognition for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship, practice and/or education, and volunteer service within the AHA/ASA. A photo of Dr. Sattler was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/18.
Sep 10, 2019
- Congratulations to Chad Paton who was recently elected as a Councilor for the Endocrinology & Metabolism section of the American Physiological Society. The term starts at EB in April 2020 and runs until 2023. A photo of Dr. Paton was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/7.
Sep 04, 2019
- FDN alumna Emily (Rollins) Miller, Bartow County School Nutrition Coordinator, and her district will be recognized at the 2019 Golden Radish Awards ceremony on 9/17 at the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Bartow County will accept the Platinum-level award, the highest designation, for taking unprecedented strides towards educating children on the importance of agriculture. A photo of Emily with an accompanying news story was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/4.
Aug 27, 2019
- Dietetics major Tori Simmons has been selected as a Student Host at this year’s Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®2019) in Philadelphia, PA. Tori has received a reduced registration rate to the conference ($35) as part of her selection. Congratulations!
Aug 20, 2019
- Two recipients have been selected for the Carolyn Berdanier Undergraduate Research Grants Program award this year. Congratulations to:
- Shreya Pandya; Major: Nutritional Sciences; Research title: "The Effect of Gram - Positive Bacterial Products on Nodose Ganglion Cultures;" Research mentor: Claire de La Serre
- Elizabeth C. Hamrick; Major: Nutritional Sciences; Research title: "Impact of maternal intake of lutein on neurodevelopment and brain oxidative stress in the offspring;" Research mentor: Hea Jin Park
Aug 13, 2019
- Claire de La Serre was recently elected to the board of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior. Congratulations!
- FDN alumna Camaria Welch received a 2019 scholarship from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She joins fellow scholarship winners Rachel Doxey, Lauren Coheley, Carolina Cawthon, and Hannah Wilson (also see Kudos 8/6), whose photos were posted to the FDN Facebook page on 8/7.
Aug 06, 2019
- Dietetics major Rachel Doxey is a recipient of the 2019-2020 Georgia Dietetic Foundation Scholarship. Congratulations!
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation Scholarship Committee has selected three FDN graduate students for 2019-2020 scholarships (each scholarship provides a monetary award to pursue academic endeavors):
- Lauren Coheley is the recipient of the Commission on Dietetics Registration Doctoral Scholarship
- Carolina Cawthon is the recipient of the Irene J. Jones Memorial Scholarship
- Hannah Wilson is the recipient of the Jessie C. Obert Memorial Scholarship
Jul 30, 2019
- Carolina Cawthon received the "Best Poster Presentation Award" at the Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB) held 7/9-13, 2019 in Utrecht, Netherlands. Carolina also received travel awards from the UGA Graduate School, FACS, and FDN to attend this conference. Photos were posted to the FDN Facebook page on 7/22, which also include a photo of Jiyoung Sammi Kim receiving her "New Investigator Travel Award" (also see Kudos 6/25).
- In April 2019, Carolina Cawthon was elected as Secretary of the UGA Blue Key Honor Society, and in July she was elected as a New Investigator Advisory Board member for the SSIB.
- Congratulations to Hannah Wilson who was honored as one of seven student scholarship winners to attend the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL from 7/27-30. A photo of Hannah receiving her award was posted to the FDN Facebook page on 7/29.
- In June 2019, several U.S. Utility and Plant Patents were awarded to the University of Georgia Research Foundation. Among these is a Performance Energy Strip invented by Jamie Cooper (Patent Number 10,307,435).
Jul 16, 2019
- Lauren Coheley was selected to receive the Michael E. Merriman Scholarship from the UGA Disability Resource Center. Lauren will be recognized for her achievement at the DRC’s Student and Faculty Recognition Reception on 11/14 in the Tate Grand Hall. Congratulations!
- Ali Berg’s programming for UGA Extension, Cooking for a Lifetime of Cancer Prevention, is on this list of interventions coming soon for the SNAP-Ed Toolkit. Jung Sun Lee and Edda Cotto-Rivera's Food Talk programs are also listed as evidenced-based interventions (see Kudos 6/25). A post congratulating these faculty and staff was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 7/14.
Jun 25, 2019
- Whitney Bignell, FDN alumna and Interim EFNEP Coordinator, has accepted the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor in Nutrition and Dietetics at East Tennessee State University. The program is situated in the newly formed Department of Rehabilitative Sciences in the College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Sciences, which is one of five colleges that form the academic health sciences center (AHSC) known as ETSU Health. The AHSC also includes the College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Nursing, and College of Public Health and has a strong focus on inter-professional education. Congratulations, Dr. Bignell!
- Sammi Jiyoung Kim has been selected to receive the New Investigator Travel Award from the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior (SSIB) for her abstract titled, "Gut microbiota dysbiosis is sufficient to alter appetitive feeding behavior in rats." This is a very prestigious award (and $1,000 prize) to be received among those who work in the area of ingestive behavior. The SSIB conference will be held in Utrecht, Netherlands and Sammi will deliver her oral presentation on 7/13.
- Jung Sun Lee and Edda Cotto-Rivera's programming for UGA SNAP-Ed is on this list of interventions coming soon for the SNAP-Ed Toolkit. In Spring 2019, 72 interventions were submitted to the SNAP-Ed Toolkit for review by three peer-experts. Of these interventions, 52 were selected for inclusion in the SNAP-Ed Toolkit as evidence-based interventions. Learn more about the UGA Food Talk programs, here.
Jun 11, 2019
- Congratulations to FDN alumna Paige Berger on winning 1st place in the Nutrition 2019 Emerging Leaders Poster Competition by the Maternal, Perinatal and Pediatric Nutrition’s Research Interest Section! A photo of Dr. Berger's certificate was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/11.
Jun 04, 2019
- Congratulations to Silvia Giraudo for being selected as a CTL Senior Teaching Fellow for the coming academic year (2019-2020)! A photo of Dr. Giraudo was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 5/30.