Dean’s Update 11/29/21
The eighth dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences will be Dean Anisa Zvonkovic effective July 1, 2022. Please join me in welcoming her to FACS and UGA.
The latest issue of The Faculty Lounge includes several articles related to mental health/wellness:
· 4 Strategies for Staying Sane and Succeeding in Academia
· Educators & Students are Burned Out: These Strategies Can Help
· My Fixation on Time Management Almost Broke Me
· Give Your Brain a Break: Course Design Tips to Avoid Feeling Overwhelmed
· Reducing Cognitive Overload While Teaching
Reminder that all faculty, master’s thesis, and doctoral students will need to submit an Elements Activity Summary by January 15, 2022. For more information about Elements v6, you can view the video from our November 17 training here. Master’s thesis and doctoral students will also need to complete the Annual Progression toward Degree form by January 15.
FACS Diversity and Inclusive Excellence Planning Group Update
A 16-member committee met several times over fall semester to begin the process of developing a five-year strategic plan focused on diversity and inclusive excellence for the college. The committee includes undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, and staff representing our four departments and IHDD. The next college update will include a semester summary and how we want to involve the entire FACS community in the spring.
Congratulations to our FACS Bulldog 100 for 2022:
- Abound Wealth Management, Nashville TN, Bo Hanson (BSFCS ‘08)
- Cindy Lynn Dunaway Interiors, Atlanta, Cindy Waites (BSFCS ’02)
- Dental Claim Support, Savannah, Ryan DeLettre (BSFCS ’06)
- Fairway Insurance Groups, Ackworth, John Loftin (BSFCS ’03)
- Hager Design International, Vancouver BC, Doris Hager (BSHE ’80)
- M. Jeffrey Martin, CPA, St. Simons – co-owned by Lynn Martin, BSHE ’8
- Maggie Griffin Design, Gainesville GA, Maggie Griffin (BSFCS ’08)
- Showpony, Augusta, Daniel Stewart, (BSFCS ’05)
- XY Planning Group, Bozeman MT, Alan Moore (BSFCS ’09, MS ’12)
In order to support our Strategic Plan research goals, FACS is instituting a new Instructional FTE Buyout Policy for faculty. Faculty in the College will now be allowed to buy out instructional time in support of outreach, research, and scholarly activities. The Instructional Buyout Policy and Request Form can be found under “Policies” here: https://www.fcs.uga.edu/faculty_staff_resources/policies-and-procedures
All too often our computer desktops can serve as a dumping ground for all kinds of random bits and pieces. Here are some tips to get you started on cleaning up your computer’s desktop.
Fall 2021 UGA Commencement speakers will be Jack Bauerle, UGA’s Tom Cousins Swimming and Diving Head Coach, and Michelle Garfield-Cook, vice provost for diversity and inclusion and strategic university initiatives.
Fall 2021 FACS Convocation will be held at 12:30 p.m. December 17 in Mahler Hall.
This year’s MLK Breakfast will be held January 14, 2022 at 8 a.m. in Tate Grand Hall. Arthur N. Dunning, president of Albany State University, will deliver the keynote address.
Sheri Lokken Worthy, Ph.D.
Samuel A. and Sharon Y. Nickols Professor