Dean’s Update 4/20/21
IT’S GEORGIA GIVING WEEK AND FACS GIVING DAY APRIL 21ST
The annual giving week at UGA launched with G-Day on Saturday and continues through Friday, April 23rd. During the week, a special day is Wednesday, April 21st which is FACS Giving Day.
Read the news article https://www.fcs.uga.edu/news/story/giving-week-a-chance-to-help-transform-the-future and/or go the FACS Giving Week web page https://www.fcs.uga.edu/about/giving-week. Watch for fun on social media and share with others the social announcements.
And, did I forget to say, give a gift to FACS during Giving Week! Gifts to all funds in the College are welcome in any amount. However, our special focus this year is on the Bulldog Basics Support Fund and the Dean Linda Kirk Fox Scholarship for Academic Excellence.
Thanks for your support at any level. Your gift helps students, faculty, and communities. Give at Give at https://gail.uga.edu/callingalldawgs?scu=facs and use the drop down menu to find the fund that supports your passion.
JOIN US FOR COLLEGE ASSEMBLY APRIL 29TH
The FACS College Assembly hosted by the Dean will be held via zoom Thursday, April 29 at 3:00 pm. Zoom information is below. If you are unable to join, it will be recorded and shared at a later time. Agenda items will include:
- Personnel and Search Updates
- Celebrate Faculty and Staff Awards
- Results for Teaching, Evolve, Adapt and Transform Teaching Survey (Dr. Sheri Worthy)
- Summer Work Environment Expectations
- Budget Overview
Topic: FACS College Assembly 04/29/2021
Time: Apr 29, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
THIS WEEK IS HONORS WEEK AT UGA
Honors Week traditionally consists of in-person events held across campus throughout the week. This year, however, these celebrations have been reimagined because of the ongoing pandemic.
A Virtual Celebration of Academic Excellence will honor outstanding achievements in instruction, research, and public service on Wednesday, April 21 at 2 p.m. on UGA’s YouTube channel.
FACS College faculty picked up three University Faculty Awards (click on the link provided to learn more)
Meigs Professor – FHCE – Joe Goetz
Creative Teaching – HDFS – Jennifer George
Post-doc – HDFS – Evin Richardson
College Awards – These top three awards will also be included in the UGA Honors Week recognition
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Teacher of the Year – FDN – Emma Laing
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Faculty Research – HDFS – Margaret Caughy
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Extension and Outreach Faculty – HDFS – Ted Futris
All other College Awards named spring 2021 and who will be recognized at the Celebrating Excellence program in October, TBD.
- Super-includer Diversity Award – Effie Antonoudi, FHCE
- Outstanding UG Faculty Advisor – FDN – Rob Pazdro
- Outstanding UG Professional Advisor – SSAC – Ahmaud Templeton
- Early Career Faculty Research – HDFS – Desiree Seponski
- Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research – TMI – Monica Sklar
- Chris Todd Outstanding Outreach – HDFS Project FREE, Ted Futris
- Thomas Rodgers Outreach County Agent Award – MaryBeth Hornbeck, Rockdale County, NW District
- Outreach Paraprofessional – Melissa Souther, Henry County, NW District
- Nettie Marie Nickols Outstanding Staff – Melissa Garber
- Susan Hale Brooks Professional Development – Cal Powell
KUDOS – FACS STUDENTS
While FACS will not hold an in-person Convocation, the following students will be recognized and contribute to the virtual programs. Please congratulate these students and watch for the release in May the FACS commencement virtual program and videos.
- Student Perspective Julie Dean (FDN)
- Student Challenge Isabel Rutledge (FHCE)
- Outstanding Senior Annabelle Armah (HDFS)
- First Honor Graduate and FACS Academic Achievement Caroline Brown (HDFS)
April Bullard (SSAC Lead Student Staff/Intern) won 2nd place in UGA’s Top 75 Student Employees of the Year by the UGA Career Center. The introduction is about a minute long and the section about April begins at 3:28 on the video. https://career.uga.edu/hireuga/seoty2021
REGISTRATION FOR AAFCS VIRTUAL CONFERENCE IS OPEN!
Plan now to join with hundreds of family and consumer sciences professionals, colleagues and friends during the AAFCS Virtual Conference, Wednesday, June 16 through Friday, June 18, 2021. A pre-conference session will be held on June 15.
Students can participate in all the sessions and have access to the conference recordings for $25. Member rate is $150, and non-members can join for $175.
You will find additional conference details here.
This year, more is better! How is that possible? The program is filled with dozens of educational sessions that are laser-focused on relevant and requested led by FCS experts. The schedule includes riveting panel discussions, education experiences in Minnesota (no travel required), community service project, brain breaks, member recognition and sessions dedicated to diversity and inclusion.
Save the dates, register soon and watch for additional announcements in the weeks ahead.
SCHEDULE (Dean’s travel and purpose during the next two weeks):
- Remote work contact: 706-224-6086 (cell)
- The next Dean’s Update will be week of May 3, or earlier.
Linda Kirk Fox
The College of Family and Consumer Sciences at the University of Georgia embraces a commitment to diversity by modeling for the state and nation a community of individuals and programs which seek to reduce prejudice, disparities, and discrimination and build a supportive environment for all.