Margaret McPhaul received her BSHE from University of Georgia in 1931 and MA from Columbia University in 1946.
Associated with the University of Georgia Nursery School almost from its inception as a student assistant and following graduate work and service to the state as Supervisor of Works Progress Administration (WPA) Nurseries, she returned to head the nursery school program in 1937. She served as supervisor until her retirement in 1964.
For more than 25 years, worked for improvement of services for young children and cooperated with many state agencies and service organizations to develop standards and licensing for centers providing care for children.
Was honored for her service to the University of Georgia when the Human Development and Family Science Center was named for her in 1973.
Awarded the title Associate Professor Emeritus of Child Development upon her retirement in 1964.
Memberships in Psi Chi, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Upsilon Omicron, Mortar Board, and the Chi Omega Sorority.
Member of the Georgia and American Home Economics Associations, National Association of Nursery Education, Southern Association for Children Under Six, Georgia Education Association and the Association for Childhood Education International.