FACS Connection - November 16, 2020
A weekly digest of news, events, and opportunities for all undergraduate FACS students.
Monday, November 16, 2020
- Dawg Check
- Bulldog Basics eStore
- FACS Alumni Association and the SSAC Present: Nedza’s Food Truck!
- FACS Pick of the Week
- Google Suite – Available to Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Society of Entrepreneurs – Speaker Series
- Georgia Run-Off Elections – Internship Opportunity
- FACS Scholarship Opportunities
1. Dawg Check
The University of Georgia is committed to a safe environment for its faculty, students, and staff. As a part of our commitment, we ask that you use DawgCheck to:
- Check your current health condition and report exposure daily using this link!
- Should you test positively for Covid-19, you are required to report the test results here.
- You will receive these prompts via email. You may enroll in text/SMS messages for these alerts by registering here.
If you have questions or require more information, please visit dawgcheck.uga.edu.
Bulldog Basics has created a new eStore that allows students to place their order online. Students will be able to choose Dawson Hall, the ASPIRE Clinic, or Tate Student Center as their pick-up location. For more information, please visit the Bulldog Basics website.
3. FACS Alumni Association and the SSAC Present: Nedza’s Food Truck!
The Student Success & Advising Center (SSAC) and the FACS Alumni Association are hosting Nedza's Food Truck for FACS students on Tuesday, November 17th. Registration is required to receive a free treat.
The FACS Alumni Association is hosting a new series, called Archside Chat that will focus on connecting student and alumni related topics of mutual interest where alumni can offer insights to current students. For more information, please visit: https://www.fcs.uga.edu/events/event/archside-chat-entrepreneurship-panel.
5. Google Suite – Available to UGA Students, Faculty, and Staff
Active UGA faculty, staff and students will soon have access to a suite of Google services through their UGA MyID account. G Suite at UGA allows you to securely share and collaborate on your UGA-related documents using four major Google tools: Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides.
Faculty and staff will gain access to G Suite at UGA on November 16th; students will be granted access on November 30th. After these dates, visit https://gdrive.uga.edu and log in with your MyID, password and ArchPass to access Google tools with your MyID. Employees and students who currently have a Google account registered with their UGAMail address (email@example.com) received communications in early November about transferring personal documents and migrating their account to UGA’s G Suite domain. For more information on G Suite offerings, visit the EITS webpage.
6. Society of Entrepreneurs – Speaker Series
7. Georgia Run-Off Elections – Internship Opportunity
Public Citizen is a national nonpartisan organization that is working to make sure that our elections are safe, secure, and accessible. This organization is currently offering remote internship opportunities for college students who want to help ensure that students and others in Georgia can participate in Georgia’s upcoming January 5th run-off election.
The internships are selective, and students in these positions will be doing serious work to protect our democracy while also learning professional advocacy and communication skills. This is an expansion of the very successful Fall 2020 Protect Democracy program, in which 37 amazing interns all around the country helped their peers participate in the November election by:
- Helping students navigate their state’s voter registration and voting procedures
- Ensuring students successfully voted
- Recruiting poll workers
- Supporting election protection programs to ensure voting ran smoothly
The remote/virtual internships run from now through the week of January 5th and Public Citizen is happy to support any student who wants to get school credit in doing so. Click the link for more information and to apply.
8. FACS Scholarship Opportunities
As a FACS major, you have access to apply for exclusive FACS scholarships. Scholarships are gift aid, meaning you do not have to repay them. Visit the FACS Scholarship Page for more information and to apply!
New to FACS? View FACS Connection Archives here!
Items for FACS Connection should be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Instructions on formatting a FACS Connection entry can be found here.
Early exposure to research fueled Akinniyi’s passion for discovery