At UGA VITA, we believe that all people deserve to have trustworthy tax preparation assistance that is free and accurate. Therefore, we are willing to aid any Georgia resident file their tax returns.
Who are the volunteers?
UGA VITA recruits financial planning, accounting, and finance students to receive an IRS-approved course of study that prepares them to prepare tax returns. Once they have passed the IRS certification, they can begin to file tax returns. This experience doubles as both a rewarding community service and a service-learning experience for students.
What are the benefits of VITA?
Help clients claim tax credits
Tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) often go unclaimed, leaving up to $6,935 on the table (depending on qualifications). Many other tax credits are also available that can not be claimed unless taxes are filed.
Saves Taxpayers Money
By Utilizing VITA services, taxpayers do not have to pay high prices to have their taxes filed. And they can rest assured that all preparations were correctly completed, and they can maximize their benefits.
Connect Clients to other Services
VITA sites and volunteers can connect clients to financial resources such as bank accounts, financial education, or financial coaching.
- How do I make an appointment?
Visit The Schedule an Appointment page to book your appointment.
- What should I bring to an appointment?
- Proof of Identification (Photo ID)
- SSN or ITIN for yourself, your spouse and any dependents (original cards)
- All W-2s, 1098-Ts, 1099s (1099-MISC, 1099-INT, etc.), and Unemployment or Social Security Benefits
- Bank accounting and routing information if you’d like to do direct deposit/withdrawal
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- If you are filing a joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the tax forms
- If you pay for child or dependent care bring the name, address and tax ID (EIN) or SSN of the care provider
- Total education expenses (books, laptops, etc.)
- Total business expenses if you are an independent contractor
- Will all of my information stay confidential?
Volunteer training covers the importance of confidentiality and privacy of all tax-payer information. We ensure that any information provided will not be disclosed to any outside parties.
- Will this impact my check or other benefits?
No, filing taxes will not impact your checks or any benefits you are currently receiving. You will likely be able to claim more benefits. When filing your taxes, you may be able to claim tax credits, receive refunds, and be referred to other essential services.