The CDL provides a rich learning environment while offering a setting for teacher training and educational research.
Nurturing Distinct Needs
We emphasize educating the whole child’s, emotional, social, physical, and intellectual being, while at the same time, the child’s integrity as learner, teacher, and classmate is valued and reinforced. We believe learning should not be imposed on the child, rather, it should take place naturally in an environment that offers a choice of activities created with children’s needs in mind and arising from the children’s individual and collective interests, actions, questions, and manipulations of the environment. To do so, the CDL:
- Offers a play-based curriculum that focuses on the whole child and is designed to meet the diverse social, physical, emotional, and cognitive needs of all.
- Provides children a safe, secure environment in which to explore new materials and establish new relationships
- Fosters a sense of self-respect, concern for others, independence, critical thinking skills, and environmental awareness through positive guidance and problem solving.
Effectively meeting the needs of young children requires teachers who act as guides on a journey of exploration and adventure and who are reflective practitioners committed to their own ongoing learning. The CDL teachers’ professional growth is supported by:
- Collaborative teaching that leverages the knowledge and strengths of each teacher
- Participation in external learning experiences including conferences and seminars
- Routine CDL-based learning experiences including staff development and training
Fostering the healthy development of each child also requires active involvement of families in children’s’ school lives. The CDL seeks to build connections with families by:
- Maintaining regular communication with families regarding the school experiences of their child(ren)
- Coordinating center-wide family gatherings
- Sustaining monthly parent council meetings and utilizing this resource as a two-way communication between families and administration
- Providing training and information opportunities for parents